From:
Anatoliy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:24:55 +0200
Apologies for cross-postings

********************************

2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety)

WHEN: July 28-30, 2017

WHERE: Toronto, Canada (Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University)

SUBMISSION DEADLINES:

Dec 5, 2016: Workshops, Tutorials, & Panels

Jan 16, 2017: Full & WIP Papers

Mar 6, 2017: Poster Abstracts

Conference website:  <http://SocialMediaAndSociety.org>
http://SocialMediaAndSociety.org

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

2017 #SMSociety Theme: Social Media for Social Good or Evil

Our online behaviour is far from virtual--it extends our offline lives. Much
social media research has identified the positive opportunities of using
social media; for example, how people use social media to form support
groups online, participate in political uprising, raise money for charities,
extend teaching and learning outside the classroom, etc. However, mirroring
offline experiences, we have also seen social media being used to spread
propaganda and misinformation, recruit terrorists, live stream criminal
activities, reinforce echo chambers by politicians, and perpetuate hate and
oppression (such as racist, sexist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic behaviour).
Furthermore, behind the posts are algorithms, power structures, commercial
interests and other factors that surreptitiously influence our experiences
on social media. So, we ask:

*       What does it actually mean to use social media for social good?

*       How can social media be further leveraged for social justice? What
are the threats to meaningful participation and how can we overcome these
threats?

*       What do we know about the 4 W's of who, what, why, where (and how)
do people engage in anti-social behaviour online?

*       What theoretical and methodological tools can we use to study
anti-social behaviour? Can we detect such behaviour automatically?

*       What are the ethics of algorithms (inclusion, accessibility, data
discrimination, bots)?

*       What are the legal, policy, privacy, and ethical implications of
using social big data?

*       Considering the proliferation of bots online, can we still trust
social media data?

*       And more broadly, what are the major effects of using social media
on political, economic, individual, and social aspects of our society?

The 2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety)
invites scholarly and original submissions that relate to the broad theme of
Social Media & Society. We welcome both quantitative and qualitative work
which crosses interdisciplinary boundaries and expands our understanding of
the current and future trends in social media research, especially those
that explore some of the questions and issues raised above.

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE:

The International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety) is an
annual gathering of leading social media researchers from around the world.
Now, in its 8th year, the 2017 conference will be held in Toronto, Canada at
Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University on July 28-30.

From its inception, the Conference has focused on the best practices for
studying the impact and implications of social media on society. Our invited
industry and academic keynotes have highlighted the shifting questions and
concerns for the social media research community. From introducing media
multiplexity and networked individualism with Caroline Haythornthwaite and
Barry Wellman in 2010 and 2011, to measuring influence with Gilad Lotan and
Sharad Goel in 2012 and 2013, to defining social media research as a field
with Keith Hampton in 2014, to identifying our commitments as social media
researchers in policy making with Bill Dutton in 2015, to exploring the
future of social media technologies with John Weigelt in 2015, to
highlighting the challenges of social media data mining in the context of
big data with Susan Halford and Helen Kennedy in 2016.

Organized by the <http://socialmedialab.ca/>  Social Media Lab at
<http://www.ryerson.ca/tedrogersschool/> Ted Rogers School of Management at
Ryerson University, the conference provides participants with opportunities
to exchange ideas, present original research, learn about recent and ongoing
studies, and network with peers. The conference's intensive three-day
program features workshops, full papers, work-in-progress papers, panels,
and posters. The wide-ranging topics in social media showcase research from
scholars working in many fields including Communication, Computer Science,
Education, Journalism, Information Science, Management, Political Science,
Sociology, Social Work, etc.

SUBMISSION DETAILS:

See online at https://socialmediaandsociety.org/submit/

PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITIES:

Full and WIP (short) papers presented at the Conference will be published in
the conference proceedings by
<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2930971&CFID=847001369&CFTOKEN=15617273&p
reflayout=flat#prox> ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (ICPS)
and will be available in the ACM Digital Library. All conference presenters
will be invited to submit their work as a full paper to the special issue of
the  <http://sms.sagepub.com/> Social Media + Society journal (published by
SAGE).

TOPICS OF INTEREST:

Social Media Impact on Society
. Political Mobilization & Engagement
. Extremism & Terrorism

. Politics of Hate and Oppression
. The Sharing/Attention Economy

. Social Media & Health

. Virality & Memes

. Social Media & Social Justice
. Social Media & Business (Marketing, PR, HR, Risk Management, etc.)
. Social Media & Academia (Alternative Metrics, Learning Analytics, etc.)
. Social Media & Public Administration
. Social Media & the News

Online/Offline Communities
. Trust & Credibility in Social Media
. Online Community Detection
. Influential User Detection
. Identity

Social Media & Small Data
. Case Studies of Online Communities Formed on Social Media
. Case Studies of Offline Communities that Rely on Social Media
. Sampling Issues
. Value of Small Data

Social Media & Big Data
. Visualization of Social Media Data
. Social Media Data Mining
. Scalability Issues & Social Media Data
. Social Media Analytics
. Ethics of Big Data/Algorithms

Theories & Methods
. Qualitative & Quantitative Approaches
. Opinion Mining & Sentiment Analysis
. Social Network Analysis
. Theoretical Models for Studying, Analysing and Understanding Social Media

Social Media & Mobile
. App-ification of Society
. Privacy & Security Issues in the Mobile World
. Apps for the Social Good
. Networking Apps

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University, Canada - Conference Chair

Jenna Jacobson, University of Toronto, Canada - Conference Chair

Philip Mai, Ryerson University, Canada - Conference Chair

K. Hazel Kwon, Arizona State University, USA - Poster Chair

ADVISORY BOARD:

William H. Dutton, Michigan State University, USA

Zizi Papacharissi, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA

Barry Wellman, INSNA Founder, The Netlab Network