From:
Manuel Portela <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Manuel Portela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2017 10:45:29 +0100
Opening Smart Cities workshop

Challenges to engage citizens through information systems

**Apologies for cross posting**

We would like to invite you to our half-day pre-conference workshop part of
the 25th Annual European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2017) (
www.ecis2017.eu). This workshop entitled "Opening Smart Cities: Challenges
to engage citizens through information systems" is being organized by
several members of the “GEO-C – Geoinformatics: Enabling Open Cities”
project (www.geo-c.eu) from Universidade Nova IMS (Portugal), University of
Münster (Germany), and Universitat Jaume I (Spain). Flyer about the workshop
:

http://www.ecis2017.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ECIS2017-OSC.pdf

Call for Submission

Current trends in urban development are rapidly increasing and focusing
towards the deployment of smart strategies, and technologies attempting to
involve citizens directly in the decision-making processes. Investment from
public and private sectors is being directed to this aspect. The growing
number of examples of abandoned or obsolete Smart-City platforms and tools
due to their lack of use by the citizens are calling for “wiser” approach
(more social, open, and inclusive). An ideal strategy will be to evaluate
and address issues regarding citizens’ involvement during the planning,
designing, and decision-making stages in the process of building “smart
cities.” The objective of this workshop is to explore and discuss the
potential of information systems to engage citizens in the development of
smart cities through e-participation technologies.

We invite you to submit your short papers (max. 2000 words excluding
references) based on your experience, research or idea to promote “wise”
approaches for e-participation platforms or citizens’ participation
strategies in Smart Cities. The “wiser” the e-participation technologies,
the bigger the contributions from the citizens to build a smarter city.
Submissions are due on April 3, 2017. Notifications will be done by April
26, 2017.

Topics

During this half-day workshop a presentation session will be follow-up by a
discussion roundtable, and a brainstorming session for new “wise”
approaches for e-participation platforms in a smart city context. The
Opening Smart Cities workshop will discuss, but not be limited to, the
following workshop topics and themes:

   -

   E-participation in smart cities
   -

   Citizen engagement platforms in smart cities
   -

   Open data and governance towards open and inclusive cities
   -

   Participatory and critical design in urban decision-making processes
   -

   New kinds of interaction between citizens and other stakeholders in open
   cities
   -

   Performance of citizens on using ICT for e-participation by
   demographics: gender, age, education, etc.
   -

   Reflections for e-participation: Best practices, failures & practical
   challenges.

Organizers

The workshop will be organized and managed by members from the three
European Universities part of the “Geo-C – Enabling Open Cities” project (
www.geo-c.eu) team. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to
contact us (E-mail: [log in to unmask]) .

Organizing Committee:

   -

   Albert Acedo Sánchez: NOVA IMS, Portugal. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Mijail Naranjo: NOVA IMS, Portugal. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Guiying Du: University of Münster, Germany. E-mail:
   -

   Ana Maria Bustamante D.: University of Münster, Germany. E-mail:
   -

   Manuel Portela: Universidad Jaume I, Spain. E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
   -

   Khoi Manh Ngo: Universidad Jaume I, Spain. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Mehrnaz Ataei: University of Münster, Germany. E-mail:

Program Committee:

   -

   Miguel Neto: NOVA IMS, Portugal. E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
   -

   Marco Painho: NOVA IMS, Portugal. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Vitor Santos: NOVA IMS, Portugal. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Sven Casteleyn: Universidad Jaume I, Spain. E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   -

   Joaquin Huerta: Universidad Jaume I, Spain. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Important Dates

March 1, 2017

Call for short papers opens.

April 12, 2017

All short papers are due.

April 26, 2017

Authors are notified of acceptance.

June 6, 2017

Workshop takes place.
Registration and Short papers submission

Registration for the Opening Smart Cities 2017 workshop will be handled
directly with your registration for the ECIS 2017 conference. The registration
fee for this workshop can be paid through the conference registration system
<http://www.ecis2017.eu/registration/>.

Please submit your short paper stating the name of the authors, contact
details and affiliation of prospective contributions to [log in to unmask]
Please do not hesitate to ask us if you have further questions.

--
*PhD Candidate and Researcher at GEO-C Programme (http://geo-c.eu
<http://geo-c.eu>)*