Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2017 08:50:14 +0000
From:
Riener Andreas <[log in to unmask]>
[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

We are pleased to announce the following workshop offered in conjunction
with the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS):

| Triangulation in UX studies: Learning from Experience                |
| Edinburgh, UK; Saturday, 10 June 2017                                |
| colocated with DIS 2017 (http://www.dis2017.org)                     |
| Submission deadline: April 17, 2017                                  |

A variety of different evaluation methods have been developed or adapted
from  related  fields,  building  on  identified  methodology  gaps. But
choosing   the  right  setting in  a User Experience (UX) study is still
challenging for both researchers in academia and practitioners in indus-
try. Although the importance of mixed methods and data-driven approaches
to  get  well-founded  study  results  of  interactive  systems has been
emphasized numerous times, there is a lack of clear  recommendations and
a common  understanding of when and in  which ways to combine  different
methods, theories, and data related to the UX of interactive systems.

----------------| WORKSHOP GOAL AND TOPICS OF INTEREST |----------------
The  workshop  aims to  gather  experiences of user studies from UX pro-
fessionals & academics to  contribute to the knowledge of mixed methods,
theories, and  data in  UX  evaluation. We  want to  discuss  individual
experiences, best  practices, potential  risks  and gaps, and  to reveal
correlations among individual triangulation strategies.

Specifically, we want to discuss the following questions:
 * What are the  motivations and the  outcomes of  different UX research
   and evaluation methods?
 * How do we best draw conclusions from  multiple and different sources,
   such as qualitative and quantitative/attitudinal and behavioral data?
 * Can combinations  of contrasting  theories that exist in UX be better
   exploited, and if so how?
 * How  can we  define best  practices and where are gaps or development
   needs in mixed method approaches in the field of UX?

The workshop will encourage and  enable participants to learn from exis-
ting practices and understand needs  within industry and academia for UX
evaluation. A  cooperatively developed  mixed method  map will summarize
the outcomes. ​

------------------| SUBMISSIONS AND PARTICIPATION |---------------------
We encourage you to  reflect  on  an  own  UX  evaluation  study that is
currently in progress or already finished  as a positive  or challenging
example. Submissions  should  be 2-4 page  long (in  SIGCHI EA  Format).
Please include:
 * A short  description of the  aim of the  study, context of use (e.g.,
   healthcare, transportation, etc.), used  methods, and motivations for
   including particular methods in the study setup
 * Discussion of the outcomes (expected  or actual results, depending of
   stage of  research) and challenges  in preparing, running, analyzing,
   and doc​umenting associated results
 * Personal  reflections  on  current  state  and  possible  gaps of  UX
   evaluation  methodology (this is not a requirement for participation,
   but feel free to reflect on this)

Submissions must be  mailed to the organizers by April 17 at the latest:
mailto: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
mailto: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>​

Registration for the  workshop (at a fee) is mandatory for all  workshop
participants, but there  are  no  additional costs if you are registered
for the main conference.

------------------| IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE WORKSHOP |------------------
* Submission deadline: April 17, 2017
* Notification of acceptance: May 1, 2017
* Early bird registration for DIS 2017: May 8, 2017
* Camera ready version due: May 20, 2017
* Workshop date: June 10, 2017 (Saturday; all day)

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.

-----------------------------| ORGANIZERS |-----------------------------
Ingrid Pettersson, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Anna-Katharina Frison, University of Applied Sciences Ingolstadt, Germany
Florian Lachner, University of Munich (LMU), Germany
Dimitrios Gkouskos, Malmo University, Sweden
Andreas Riener, University of Applied Sciences Ingolstadt, Germany

Workshop website: <http://www.chalmers.se/en/departments/ppd/research/
design-and-human-factors/Pages/workshop-2-dis2017.aspx>

Main contact:
mailto: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
mailto: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>​

For more details see the workshop website!