From:
"Siek, Katie A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Siek, Katie A.
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:21:41 +0000
Please feel free to share this with your undergraduate mailing lists and classes.
Call for Summer REU Applications
We invite undergraduates to apply to the Proactive Health Informatics Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site for Summer 2017 (Friday, May 19 through Friday, July 28, 2017).

What is the Proactive Health Informatics REU Site?
The Proactive Health Informatics group’s research aims to to build usable, secure, and intelligent pervasive systems that empower people to manage their health and see how their everyday decisions impact their progress to achieve future health goals. Our REU site will provide students with a unique opportunity to learn techniques in the areas of human computer interaction, pervasive computing (mobile or wearable), machine learning, privacy, and the social and legal implications of these technologies. Students will learn appropriate methods, software tools, and analysis techniques related to their project, thus experience is not necessarily required. In addition, all students will learn scholarly professional development skills such as synthesizing related work, identifying research aims, designing ethical studies, collecting data, analyzing results, and presenting results in papers and presentations.

More Information: http://prohealth.soic.indiana.edu/reu/
Updates: https://www.facebook.com/iuprohealthreu

What will students do?
REU Participants will:

  *
be trained to become the next generation of scholars to conduct cross-cutting computing research;
  *
prepare for graduate education and research career opportunities through preparatory workshops and one-on-one mentoring;
  *
engage in an interactive mentoring relationship with a faculty member and graduate student;
  *
work with mentors to disseminate research;
  *
inspire middle school and high school students to consider computing through REU student panels, workshops,  and shadowing opportunities during computing-related summer camps.

Logistics
Our 2017 REU dates are Friday, May 19 through Friday, July 28, 2017.

For the 10 weeks of participation, each student will receive a $5000 stipend, free room and board, and GRE preparation (if wanted for rising Juniors and Seniors).

How to Apply?
We encourage undergraduate students interested in computing/informatics oriented areas - independent of experience or years in their respective programs - to apply to our REU program.

One of the goals of the REU program is to broaden participation of students from traditionally underrepresented groups in computing and/or who do not have access to research facilities at their home institution. We strongly invite applications from women, students of color, first-generation college students, gender and sexual minorities, veterans, and students with disabilities. Previous research experience is not a requirement.

Please complete an application as soon as possible (we will review, interview, and select participants on a rolling basis starting in mid-January 2017). The final due date for applications is March 15, 2017:

  *
Fill out the application form directly online http://bit.ly/ProHealthREU2017
  *
In preparation for applying to the ProHealth REU Site, please make sure you have:
     *
Name and contact information of 2 people willing to write a letter of recommendation for you
     *
Your unofficial transcript (please put your unofficial transcript in a web repository, such as Google Drive or Dropbox (Dropbox Directions: https://www.dropbox.com/help/167)), and share it only with a person who has a link
     *
A personal statement that discusses your research interests and motivation for being part of ProHealth’s inclusive, collaborative research experience
     *
(Optional) A link to your to a website that shows examples of your project work
  *
In addition to the requirements above, the application will collect:
     *
demographic information,
     *
Interests,
     *
information about prior experiences.

  *
This program is funded in part by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Stipends from NSF funds are restricted to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International applicants with a stipend through their home institution are welcome to apply. If international applications are selected, we will provide research housing. Other NSF-supported REU programs may be found at the NSF https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.jsp?unitid=5049.

ProHealth reserves the right to review, interview, and select participants on a rolling basis, thus people who apply sooner have a better opportunity for a position within the ProHealth Research community.

Indiana University values diversity and invites applicants from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching, and service missions of the university. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and we encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

If you have any question, please contact Professor Katie Siek at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Contact Information
Indiana University
Informatics - ProHealth Informatics REU Program
919 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408 USA
Website: http://prohealth.soic.indiana.edu/reu/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/iuprohealthreu
Primary Contact: Professor Katie Siek, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-1560276. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.

Katie A. Siek, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Indiana University
Informatics
919 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408-3912 USA
o: (812) 856-0598
c: (720) 244-0376
f: (812) 856-5754
s: katiesiek
w: http://wphomes.soic.indiana.edu/ksiek/
Office: Info East 267 (in the connector)

My latest collaborative publications:

Postpartum health information seeking using mobile phones: Experiences of low-income mothers.
Maternal and Child Health http://bit.ly/IU-MIST

Investigating the suitability of the asynchronous, remote,community-based method for pregnant and new mothers.
CHI 2017 http://bit.ly/IU-ARC-MIST

"Be grateful you don’t have a real disease”: Understanding rare disease relationships.
CHI 2017  http://bit.ly/IU-ARC-RareDisease

Integrating community-based participatory research and informatics approaches to improve the engagement and health of underserved populations.
JAMIA http://bit.ly/JAMIA-CBPR