Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:29:36 +0200
From:
amon rapp <[log in to unmask]>
Apologies for cross posting

============================
CALL FOR PAPERS
============================

The Future of Personal Data: envisioning new personalized services enabled
by Quantified Self technologies (FuturePD) – International Workshop @ ACM
UMAP ‘16 – Halifax, Canada 13 -17 July, 2016

This one-day workshop will take place at ACM UMAP 2016 and wants to bring
together professionals, researchers, practitioners and anyone else
interested in the domain of personal data.
The workshop will combine a brief presentation session and a longer design
session, where participants will create future scenarios and fictional
prototypes to reflect on QS personalized technologies.

Workshop Website: https://futurepd.wordpress.com/

IMPORTANT DATES
7 May 2016: Workshop papers submission
1 June 2016: Notification of acceptance
7 June 2016: Camera-ready version due

Please submit to: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=futurepd2016

MOTIVATION
Quantified Self (QS) aims to use technology to collect personal data on
different aspects of people’s daily lives. QS tools are more and more
allowing people to self-track a variety of information related to their
behaviors (sleep, food), activities (walking, run), psychological states
(mood, stress), physiological parameters (heart rate, blood sugar level),
locations, etc. As the current availability on the market of wearables and
mobile applications for self-tracking is making it plausible that QS
technologies will become pervasive in the near future, we have to start to
explore how to employ personal data effectively for a broad user base and
to enable new complex forms of personalization and user modeling.

In this workshop we want to explore a variety of challenges and explore
different opportunities:
i) how can we model users’ habits and everyday activities through user
modeling techniques based on “real-world” user’s data (related to e.g.
user’s cognition, behavior, habits, physiology)?
ii) how can we convey new forms of recommendations and personalized
feedback, goals, plans based on these data?
iii) which kind of personalized services and applications can be improved
by this renewed availability of personal data in different domains, for
example for behavior change purposes, for helping people remember their
past, or for improving their learning processes?
iv) how can we define new personalized ways to present the data collected,
in order to make them simple to understand and improve the meaningfulness
of the interfaces and visualizations provided?
v) how can we face ethical and theoretical issues, e.g. to the user’s
privacy and the possibility of storing all her experiences?

TOPICS
Relevant workshop topics include but are not limited to:
i) New techniques for collecting data and engaging people in tracking them;
ii) Reflections on how “real-world” personal data could enable new complex
forms of personalization;
iii) New ways to model users on the basis of real-world data;
iv) Wearables’ data for personalization and user modeling;
v) New services and applications for making personal data actionable, in
order e.g. to trigger behavior change processes, enrich the recollection of
memories, support processes of learning, support self-management of health;
vi) New personalized interaction modalities and visualizations to
manipulate personal data;
vii) New techniques for interconnect, analyze and model personal data ;
viii) Theoretical reflections and thought-provoking insights about the
future of personalization and modeling of human real-life behavior and how
they could change our lives;
ix) Ethical issues related to the future pervasiveness of QS technologies.

SUBMISSION
All workshop papers must be 2-8 pages long in the 2015-2016 ACM SIG
Proceedings template and submitted via easychair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=futurepd2016

The deadline for submission is May 7, 2016.

Papers should be in pdf format and should not be anonymized.

We will accept both position papers and research papers, case studies,
future research challenges and reflections. Papers will be reviewed by the
program committee based on their pertinence with the workshop topics,
quality of the exposition and, mainly, potential to trigger discussions and
insights for inspiring the design of new solutions during the workshop.

All the accepted manuscripts will be included in the UMAP supplemental
proceedings published with CEUR.

ORGANIZERS
Amon Rapp. University of Torino, Torino, Italy ([log in to unmask]).
Federica Cena. University of Torino, Torino, Italy.
Judy Kay. University of Sydney, Australia.
Bob Kummerfeld. University of Sydney, Australia. Frank Hopfgartner.
University of Glasgow, UK.
Jakob Eg Larsen. Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark.
Elise van den Hoven. University of Technology Sydney, Australia and
Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands.