From:
David Chatting <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Chatting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:28:43 +0000
Making Home: Asserting Agency in the Age of IoT
CHI 2017 Workshop – Denver, Colorado, USA – Saturday, 6th May 2017

David Chatting, Gerard Wilkinson, Kevin Marshall, Audrey Desjardins, David Green, David Kirk and Andy Boucher
---

For many people the Internet and computation has become firmly embedded in the fabric of the home. Our agency at home is being challenged; both with changing economic patterns of ownership, and by the home’s automatous behaviors – many at the behest of corporations or governments. This one-day workshop invites participation across HCI practice: designers of technologies that configure space; makers and hackers of the Internet of Things; researchers of behavioral change in the home and those envisaging new forms of domestic space – critically and uncritically. We will come together in an AirBnB home to debate this in context. A short film will be made and publicly shared immediately afterwards.

The workshop themes include: agency, privacy, wellbeing, DIY practices, hacking, precarious or nomadic lifestyles and design-led research. We invite our participants to come to the AirBnB home with an installation or demonstration, an artifact or a provocation, for the space. We are seeking a diversity of work and approaches. Our goal is to create a lively debate around people, homes and stuff.

Position papers are invited in the CHI extended abstracts format (2 to 4 pages). We encourage rich graphical depiction. Brief personal biographies should be included. Acceptance is based on quality and relevance to our themes. To make a submission, request details of the space or ask any questions please send an email to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

At least one author of each accepted position paper must register and attend the workshop. All participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.

Final Submission Deadline: 27th January 2017
Final Notification Date: 10th February 2017
Final Camera Ready Submissions: 24th February 2017

https://makinghome.org/chi2017/