From:
Sarah Clinch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Clinch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2017 09:08:45 +0000
=== Call for Papers ====

WAHM ‘17: 4th Workshop on Ubiquitous Technologies to Augment the Human Mind – Sharing Experiences
Conference:  UbiComp 2017 (Hawaii)

=== ORGANIZERS ===
Sarah Clinch, Manchester University, United Kingdom
Passant ElAgroudy, Stuttgart University, Germany
Tilman Dingler, Stuttgart University, Germany
Tsutomu Terada, Kobe University, Japan
Kai Kunze, Keio University, Japan

=== THEME ===
Ubiquitous capture, storage and sensing tools have recently gained attention for their capacity to augment the cognitive and emotional capabilities of the human mind. For example, the use of lifelogging and other sensors to capture experience to supplement human memory, or the use of AR/VR to extend perception.  Such interventions are empowering media for skill transfer and enhancing empathy across societies. Therefore, we are inviting researchers to re-think and propose novel technologies to augment the human mind with specific focus on approaches to the sharing of experiences and abilities between individuals.  This workshop shall bring together computer scientists with diverse expertise (e.g. wearable computing, HCI, affective computing, data science, virtual and augmented reality) with psychologists, cognitive scientists and others to identify key opportunities and challenges for the augmentation of individual and societal mind (emotions, creativity, attention, cognition). A combination of position presentations and group discussions will explore a range of technical and societal issues.

=== TOPICS OF INTEREST ===
We encourage all submissions on areas pertaining to the augmentation of the human mind, including  (further research questions are available on the website):

•       Sensing Technologies: How can we design sensing and interaction modalities to better understand human behavior and sharing expectations for specific use cases? How can we transfer cognitive and emotional states?

•       Applied cognitive theories: What is the interplay between technology interventions and existing cognitive function? How does our understanding of cognitive processes shape technology design and deployment?

•       Innovative user interfaces: we are looking for innovative user interfaces for mind augmentation, including technologies for information priming and for lifelogging. We are also looking for innovative designs to leverage speedy consumption and reviewing of information

•       Knowledge acquisition points design: Experiences and information consumption advance personal knowledge. What is the design space of such acquisition points? How do these relate to attention? How do we extend knowledge acquisition experiences beyond the individual?

•       Commercial applications: How can we translate the lab findings from cognitive psychology and memory research into impactful commercial apps? What are the driving models of such apps?
•       Privacy: Large-scale data capture and transfer has critical privacy implications such as capture of private space and bystander privacy. How do we ensure user control over data despite growing corporate interest? How to manage multiple and conflicting ownerships of data snippets (E.g. photos)?
•       Societal implications: Which use cases are acceptable for amplifying the human cognition and which ones are not?

=== SUBMISSION FORMAT ===

•       Workshop candidates are requested to send a position paper (4 pages excluding biography  and references in the ACM SIGCHI non-archival Extended Abstracts template (landscape format)<http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform/sigchi-extended-abstracts-word-template/view>)

•       The paper should propose a problem in one of the topics of interest and advocate the authors’ vision. Papers should consider the challenges and opportunities they see for technology that augments the human mind. The paper should end with a short biography about the authors.

•       Participants will be selected on the basis of relevance. Accepted submissions will be included in the UbiComp 2017 Adjunct Proceedings and listed in the ACM Digital Library.

•       All submissions should be sent as PDF to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with "WAHM 2017 Submission" as email subject.

=== IMPORTANT DATES ===

•       Workshop at Ubicomp 2017: September 11<http://airmail.calendar/2017-09-11%2012:00:00%20BST>/12, 2017

•       Paper submission deadline: July 14, 2017 @23:00<http://airmail.calendar/2017-07-14%2023:00:00%20BST>

•       Feedback to authors: July 21, 2017<http://airmail.calendar/2017-07-21%2012:00:00%20BST>