CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:17:27 -0400
Morgan & Claypool Publishers is proud to announce the recent publication of
a new book in Human-Centered Informatics series.

Designing for Gesture and Tangible Interaction

By Mary Lou Maher & Lina Lee (UNC-Charlotte)

ISBN: 9781627056847 | PDF ISBN: 9781627058865

Copyright C 2017 | 130 Pages | Publication Date: March, 2017
(Digital Library Subscribers):
http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/10.2200/S00758ED1V01Y201702HCI036

(Print & Individual E-book - Retail): http://bit.ly/2nasWIC

Interactive technology is increasingly integrated with physical objects that
do not have a traditional keyboard and mouse style of interaction, and many
do not even have a display. These objects require new approaches to
interaction design, referred to as post-WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, and
Pointer) or as embodied interaction design. This book provides an overview
of the design opportunities and issues associated with two embodied
interaction modalities that allow us to leave the traditional keyboard
behind: tangible and gesture interaction. We explore the issues in designing
for this new age of interaction by highlighting the significance and
contexts for these modalities. We explore the design of tangible interaction
with a reconceptualization of the traditional keyboard as a Tangible
Keyboard, and the design of interactive 3D models as Tangible Models. We
explore the design of gesture interaction through the design of gesture-base
commands for a Walk-up-and-use Information Display, and the design of a
gesture-based dialogue for the willful marionette. We conclude with design
principles for tangible and gesture interaction and a call for research on
the cognitive effect of these modalities.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly at

Brent Beckley
Morgan & Claypool Publishers

 <https://twitter.com/MorganClaypool> @MorganClaypool (Twitter)

---