From:
Loren Terveen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Loren Terveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:44:06 -0600
SIGCHI has a longstanding and deep commitment to the free exchange of
information, diversity, and inclusiveness. This commitment can be tested by
events. Current events in the United States are a case in point. In
response, the SIGCHI Executive Committee has issued the following statement
(posted online at
http://www.sigchi.org/news/sigchi-supports-freedom-of-movement):

The ACM SIGCHI (Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction) is an
international society composed of scholars, professionals, and students
from around the world. We value and require freedom of expression and
freedom of movement to pursue our work, advance interaction technology and
contribute to research, development and innovations in human-computer
interaction.
[image: SIGCHI Supports Freedom of Movement]
<http://www.sigchi.org/news/sigchi-supports-freedom-of-movement/image/image_view_fullscreen>

We therefore *oppose needless restrictions that exclude any members of our
community by limiting their freedom of movement*, and thus preventing them
from contributing to the open exchange of ideas and advancement of
knowledge.

The United States executive order of January 27, 2017 has precisely these
effects. SIGCHI fully supports ACM’s statement of "Concern About  New
[United States] Executive Order Suspending Visas
<http://www.acm.org/about-acm/suspension-of-visas>", and we are taking a
number of immediate practical steps to mitigate the consequences of this
order as long as it remains in effect. Most immediately, *any authors with
accepted presentations at SIGCHI-sponsored conferences* who are impacted by
this action -- or similar actions anywhere in the world -- *should contact
the general chairs of the relevant conference to discuss their options*.

Options SIGCHI is exploring include, but are not limited to:

   1. Video presentations.
   2. Remote presentations (where available).
   3. Remote attendance and participation (where available).

If you are a presenter, and these options do not work for you, please let
the relevant conference chairs know, and they will work with you to find an
alternative.

We understand that there are members of the SIGCHI community who do not
wish to travel to the USA to express their moral disapproval of the current
circumstances. However, *we strongly encourage you to participate in these
conferences* (such as CHI 2017 and CSCW 2017) if you are able. We believe
that our conferences are a force for good wherever they are held -- they
promote the free exchange of ideas, celebrate diversity, and aim for
inclusiveness -- and we strive to mitigate external circumstances at odds
with our values. And, crucially, by attending our conferences, you will
have the opportunity to discuss these issues and help shape how we move
forward. Otherwise, we risk additional harm to our scholarly interactions.

We also take this opportunity to note how very thankful we are for the
tireless work of the many volunteers who organize
<http://www.sigchi.org/conferences/organising-a-sigchi-sponsored-or-co-sponsored-conference>
 our sponsored and co-sponsored conferences
<http://www.sigchi.org/conferences>. Years of effort go into even the
smallest of events, so we must  be mindful of this as we suggest ideas or
propose alternatives. Organizers welcome your input and need your support
as they work to plan and welcome thousands of delegates.

Everyone in SIGCHI who is planning future conferences and other supported
events (e.g., summer schools) must and will be mindful of our Statement on
Inclusiveness::

*SIGCHI strives to be inclusive for all its members and potential members.
Conference committees should consider conditions that might prohibit or
exclude members of our community participating when making site selections.*

Therefore, locations that substantially exclude or disadvantage significant
segments of our community -- for example, due to visa restrictions, costs,
accessibility -- should be avoided.

We wish all the organisers and delegates of future SIGCHI sponsored
conferences well.

*The SIGCHI Executive Committee (Jan 30, 2017)*