From:
Tilman Dingler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tilman Dingler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 08:00:33 +0000
Dear all,

please take note of the attached Call for Chapters for the Edited Springer Volume entitled "Technology-Augmented Perception and Cognition”. Abstract submission deadline is Sep 1st.

Thanks and best regards,
~ Tilman Dingler & Evangelos Niforatos

**
Technology-Augmented Perception and Cognition
Call for Chapters

Technology is drastically changing the way we perceive the world and how we process information. It increasingly defines how we manage our attention reserves, how we learn and remember, and often has a disruptive nature when devices, such as smartphones, wearables, ambient displays and soon IoT devices, compete for our attention. This book aims to integrate the research efforts, results, and visions of fields, such as Computer Science and Psychology, to provide a comprehensive overview of how modern technologies could assist and augment human perception, cognition, and memory. In light of current challenges of our knowledge society, such as information overload and lifelong learning, the book serves as a foundation for students, researchers, and designers of mobile and wearable technologies. The book covers five main parts: 1) an overview of human perception and cognition with a focus on the possibilities and effects that applied technologies have on information processing and recall, 2) the digitization of memories through lifelogging and activity tracking, 3) information retrieval, processing, and consolidation of memory-relevant data sources, 4) novel learning technologies and interfaces to facilitate long-term memory, and 5) privacy and security issues that arise with widespread sensing and personal recording, storage, and processing technologies.
This book will be published in the Springer Human–Computer Interaction Series (https://www.springer.com/series/6033).

We invite HCI researchers and practitioners to contribute to the following suggested (but not limited) topics/parts and questions:

  1.  Applying Technology to Human Perception, Cognition, and Memory
     *   How can technology-augmented recall be used to re-enforce or attenuate memories?
        *   Cued Recall
        *   Recall Induced Forgetting (RIF)
     *   How can we use real-life recordings of physiological data for augmenting our mind and improving our lives?
        *   Increase focus, performance, and productivity
        *   Inform decision-making
        *   Behavioural change
  2.  Digitization of Memories through Lifelogging and Activity Tracking
     *   How can we use lifelogging for explicitly or implicitly record and distill memories in electronic format?
        *   Capture modality (manual vs. automatic vs. event-driven)
        *   Novel capture techniques and devices (from SenseCam to Google Clip and beyond)
        *   Challenges (and failures) of commercialization efforts, such as Narrative Clip
     *   How do signals gathered from ubiquitous sensing devices relate to cognitive processes?
        *   Circadian rhythms
        *   Electroencephalography (EEG)
        *   Electromyography (EMG)
     *   What are important activities to focus on?
        *   Fatigue detection
        *   Tracking cognitive workload
  3.  Information Retrieval, Processing, and Consolidation of Memory-Relevant Data Sources
     *   Which meaningful data sources can we draw from and consolidate in order to create meaningful daily summaries?
        *   Content (Pictures, Video etc.)
        *   Context (Location, Time, Activity etc.)
        *   Speech-to-text
     *   How can we use adaptive algorithms to create such automated summaries compiled from lifelogging footage?
        *   LDA Topic summarization
        *   Feature extraction
        *   Machine vision
     *   In which way can these summaries be presented so that they support long-term memory?
        *   Lifelogging User Interfaces (LUIs)
        *   Design Principles for novel interfaces
  4.  Novel Learning Technologies and Interfaces to Facilitate Long-term Memory
     *   How can feedback through ambient large displays and personal mobile devices aid memory acquisition, retention, and attenuation?
        *   Ubiquitous cued recall
        *   Opportunistic cue display (context change detection)
     *   How can we design technologies to support learning in versatile environments beyond the classroom?
        *   Everyday-life settings (museum, workshop, remotely etc.)
        *   Micro-learning tasks (on-the-go)
        *   Pervasive learning
  5.  Privacy and Security
     *   What are risks, ethical and societal implications of technology-augmented perception and cognition?
        *   Social acceptance
        *   Sharing information about cognitive processes
        *   Memory sharing, theft, manipulation, and inheritance
     *   How can we democratize our perception and cognition augmenting approaches for mitigating inequalities
        *   The technology age-gap
        *   The economical gap
        *   DIY movement

Submitting your Chapter:
For contributing to this edited book, please send a one-page abstract (~500 words) of your chapter together with the authors' names and affiliations, and the email of the corresponding author to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Submissions should be previously unpublished and should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. The deadline for abstract submission is 01.09.2018 but early submissions are encouraged.

  *

Important Dates:
·        01.09.2018: Submission of chapter abstracts
·        14.09.2018: Notification of accepted chapter abstracts
·        16.12.2018: Submission of full chapters
·        31.01.2019: Chapter revision requests
·        28.02.2019: Submission of revised chapter

Questions?
For any questions feel free to contact Tilman Dingler <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
This call is available at: http://wahm.tilmanification.com/springer/<http://wahm.tilmanification.com/>

Tilman Dingler (University of Melbourne)
Evangelos Niforatos (Thalmic Labs)