Sender:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2017 06:48:00 +0000
From:
Riener Andreas <[log in to unmask]>
[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

  Call for Papers

  Workshop on "User-Centered Design for Automated Driving Systems"

  colocated with AutoUI 2017 (http://www.auto-ui.org/17)
  September 24-27, 2017 | Oldenburg, Germany

  http://www.andreasriener.com/AutoUI17WS_UCD/

>> Automated Driving Systems beyond a Technology-Centered Perspective
All global players of the automotive  industry (e.g. BMW, VW, JLR, Ford,
Tesla etc.) are focusing on the development of automated driving systems
(SAE J3016: ADS). Beside  car  manufacturers, also tech  companies  like
Google, Apple, Nvidia and Intel are working hard to bring the technology
to the  market. As  a  consequence, research  toward  automated  driving
systems (ADS) is mainly focusing on an innovation-driven and technology-
centered perspective (to maintain  competitiveness). Aspects like trust,
acceptance, and user  experience are  widely under-researched.  However,
the "human factor" is critical for a comprehensive  establishment of ADS
technology on  the market. We believe that there is a need to focus on a
user-centered design (UCD) perspective to bring ADS innovation to a next
level and to achieve a wide acceptance in society.

>> Topics of Interest
In this workshop, we want to discuss special requirements of UCD applied
to ADS to address challenges & opportunities and to reveal new  research
fields for future work. To inspire future work and to emphasize the need
for a user-centered  perspective on ADS we  want to discuss  this  topic
in a  workshop with researchers and  professionals of the HCI community.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* What are  special requirements for Automated Driving Systems (ADS) in
   the view of UCD?
* What does User-Centered Design mean for ADS?
* Which aspects of ADS need to be evaluated (i.e. pragmatic and hedonic
   quality, user needs, emotions, others)?
* What are  specific challenges  of the  different levels (according to
   SAE, NHTSA, BASt classification) of ADS on UCD?
 * Are the existing definitions suited for actual users?
* Which existing evaluation approaches and methods are feasible?
* Is there a need to adapt exiting approaches and methods for ADS?
* How can existing approaches and methods be adapted for ADS?

We welcome contributions from both academia and industry!

>> Submission Guidelines
The target audience for this workshop are researchers  and practitioners
in the AutoUI/HCI community, who are  interested in  automated  driving.
Besides that, we also invite HCI or UI designers (with  affinity to  the
vehicle domain) and ADSs engineers.
Submissions for  the workshop (including  author names and affiliations)
are  required to  adhere to the  CHI extended  abstracts (EA) format. We
encourage  participants to  prepare 1-4 page position  papers (in CHI EA
format) describing a crisp, self-contained problem or view in the  field
of the workshop. Successful submissions will have the potential to raise
discussion, provide insights for other attendees, or illustrate problems
and  provide  potential  solutions. All material  must be  submitted via
Email to Katharina Frison at <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on or before
the submission deadline.

Important Dates (tentative):

* Submission deadline: July 23rd, 2017
* Notification of acceptance: August 4th, 2017
* Final version due: August 20th, 2017
* Workshop at AutoUI: Sunday, September 24th, 2017

>> Organizers and Conctact
Anna-Katharina Frison (Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt, Germany)
Andreas Riener (CARISSMA // Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt, Germany)
Myounghoon "Philart" Jeon (Michigan Tech, Houghton, MI, US)
Bastian Pfleging (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitšt, Germany)
Ignacio Alvarez (Intel Labs, Hillsboro, OR, US)
Wendy Ju (Stanford University, Stanford, CA, US)

WWW:   http://www.andreasriener.com/AutoUI17WS_UCD/

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.