Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:13:46 +1100
Sender:
From:
Rohit Ashok Khot <[log in to unmask]>
Hello everyone,
Apologies for cross-posting.

With a fantastic group of food designers, tinkerers and ethnographers, we
are organizing a Human-Food Interaction workshop
<http://datamaterialities.org/chi2018workshop.html> at the upcoming CHI 2018
<https://chi2018.acm.org/> conference in Montreal (21st April). We will
experiment with various food-tech prototypes, scenarios, as well as food
design games <http://materie.me/digifood> and discuss what roles does
technology design play in people’s everyday food lifestyles. Our scope is
broad and we are interested in all kinds of (existing as well as
envisioned) digital and data-driven food practices. Of particular interest
are issues around personalized nutrition, digital food sharing, and AI in
the kitchen but also amateur food science practices such as diet
self-experimentation and DIY ‘food hacking’. We would like to discuss
broader socio-cultural, environmental and policy frameworks of the emerging
digital food innovation and think of the ‘best ways’ how to design for safe
and sustainable, but also experimental, playful and just food systems. We
believe that the role of interaction design within contemporary food
systems should reach beyond techno-solutionist promises and embrace more
critical, ethically robust approaches.

If you plan to be at CHI this year, come join us for the day full of food
design experimentations, talks and speculations. The workshop is open to
food practitioners in the broadest sense - just send us any food project,
experiment, fiction, etc. you’ve been working on. Submission & attendance
details available here <http://datamaterialities.org/chi2018workshop.html>
or at the CHI website. <https://chi2018.acm.org/accepted-workshops/> For
other details, ask at [log in to unmask]

Hope to see you there!

All the best,

Marketa, Rohit, Hillary, Hasan & Andrew

--
Kind regards,
Dr. Rohit Ashok Khot.

"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

"Humans are creatures who spend their lives trying to convince themselves
their existence is not absurd."
- Albert Camus.