Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2018 13:55:13 +0000
From:
Pamela Wisniewski <[log in to unmask]>
ACM's Future Computing Academy's Fostering the Future of Computing<http://www.acm-fca.org/fca-working-groups/fostering-future-computing/> working group will be hosting a panel on "Intersectionality as a Lens to Promote Equity and Inclusivity within SIGCHI," at CHI 2018<https://chi2018.acm.org/> in Montreal, Canada on April 25th, 2018 from 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EDT. Please join us!

Through this panel, we wish to create a forum for recognizing best practices regarding equity and inclusivity in participants' local and global contexts that we might feasibly integrate across SIGCHI. By equally prioritizing the voices of those in the audience and on the panel, we intend to foster a lively and constructive discussion that will help us chart a way forward. We will begin by recognizing efforts that SIGCHI has made over the years, in generally being ahead of the curve with its current constitution and efforts towards inclusive growth. We will then invite participation from our audience and panel regarding best practices in other local/global research communities that might strengthen our own, identifying concrete steps forward. The panel will be compromised of the panelists, FCA co-organizers, and most importantly, the audience. Our panelists have all been proponents of equity and inclusivity within/beyond SIGCHI:

  *   Cliff Lampe (Moderator), University of Michigan (USA).
  *   Susan M. Dray, Dray & Associates, Inc. (USA)
  *   Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Tu Wien (Austria)
  *   Michael Muller, IBM Research AI (USA)
  *   Anicia N. Peters, Namibia University of Science & Tech (Namibia)
The takeaways from this panel will be articulated into an article for the Interactions magazine, targeting the larger human-computer interaction (HCI) community. To find out more details about the spirit in which the panel was co-created, please visit the web site at: https://acm-fca.org/2018/03/19/sigchi-chi-2018-panel-intersectionality-lens-promote-equity-inclusivity/
Panel Co-Organizers from FCA's Fostering the Future of Computing:

  *   Pamela Wisniewski, University of Central Florida
  *   Neha Kumar, Georgia Institute of Technology
  *   Christine Bassem, Wellesley College
  *   Sarah Clinch, University of Manchester
We hope to see you there!
Pam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Pamela Wisniewski
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Computer Science
University of Central Florida
Harris Corporation Engineering Center (HEC) 217A
4000 Central Florida Blvd., Orlando, FL 32816
(407) 823-3189 | Office
Google Scholar: http://bit.ly/2kOgRJJ
Sociotechnical Interaction Research (STIR) Lab: http://www.cs.ucf.edu/STIR/
User Experience (UX) Lab @ UCF: http://www.cs.ucf.edu/ux/