From:
Marc Fabri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Fabri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2017 05:20:56 -0400
http://leedsbehaviourlab.org/events/bhci-workshop-participatory-design/

We invite researchers, designers and practitioners to join us for this workshop and explore how sensitive, personal and sometimes embarrassing information about users can be elicited in a safe and supportive way. The 3-hour workshop will present techniques for developing deep empathy and understanding for end users, and ultimately create better end products.

The workshop is part of the 31st British Human-Computer Interaction conference, 3-6 July 2017 in Sunderland (http://hci2017.bcs.org) and participants must register through the conference website. The workshop will take place on Tuesday 4 July 9.00-12.00, which is just before the main conference starts.

SUBMIT A POSITION PAPER
We welcome prospective participants to submit short position papers (max. 4 pages) covering any relevant topic related to dealing with sensitive and personal issues in participatory design. Your submission should focus on challenges encountered and the methods you use in your practice to overcome these challenges (whether they worked or not). During the workshop we will ask you to share these methods with other participants. For submission guidelines see http://leedsbehaviourlab.org/events/bhci-workshop-participatory-design/.

The workshop is free for full conference attendants (£20 for day visitors). All workshop attendants are invited to the Tuesday evening social event at St Peter’s (see http://hci2017.bcs.org/social-programme/)

AFTER THE WORKSHOP
We plan to publish a special issue on the workshop topic in a relevant international HCI journal. Workshop attendees will be invited to expand on their workshop submissions, alongside a general call for papers.

We look forward to welcoming you in Sunderland in July

Marc Fabri
Paul Doney

--------

ABOUT THE ORGANISERS
Marc Fabri and Paul Doney are members of the Enabling Technologies research group at Leeds Beckett University, School of Computing, Creative Technologies and Engineering. Both have experience of using Participatory Design and Design Thinking methods in the creation of apps and websites. They have run numerous workshops dealing with sensitive topics and have developed successful strategies to engage workshop participants in all stages of the design process.