From:
Riener Andreas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Riener Andreas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:28:09 +0000
[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

| SPECIAL ISSUE of Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments    |
| Virtual and Augmented Reality for                                    |
| Autonomous Driving and Intelligent Vehicles                          |
| Submission deadline: November 6, 2017 (extended)                     |

---------------------| SCOPE OF THE SPECIAL ISSUE |---------------------
It is forecasted that augmented reality (AR)  and  virtual  reality (VR)
automotive applications  will  increase  road  safety,  bring  intuitive
activities to driving,  and finally  enhance  driving  experience. AR/VR
technology may also help on the transition  towards  automated  driving.
AR head-up-displays (HUDs) may soon overlay 3D  navigation  instructions
onto road geometry  and  moving  obstacles  like  vulnerable  road users
(pedestrians,  bikers,  wheel-chair  users)  and other  vehicles  may be
highlighted  to calm  down  the  driver-passenger  and enhance  trust in
their vehicle's automated operation as the vehicle proves its  awareness
of its surroundings. Virtual  reality windshields  may allow for dynamic
reconfiguration of multi-lane roads based on  demand  and  will,  in the
long term, remove road signs, traffic lights, road paintings,  etc. from
the  streets.  However,  many   technological   challenges    need to be
addressed before AR/VR applications  will  hit  the  mainstream  market.
These  include  how to  capture  and interpret  road  geometry   through
computing  intensive  sensor  fusion,   precise   vehicle   positioning,
compensation for  vibrations,  delays,  and  jitter,  laser  projection,
driver monitoring via inward facing cameras and designing  sophisticated
algorithms  to generate  precise  augmentation  content  in the  viewing
field of the driver, etc.

-------------------------| TOPICS OF INTEREST |-------------------------
The central objective of this  special  issue  is  to provoke  an active
debate  on potential  and  constraints,  impact,  role,  and adequacy of
using augmented and virtual reality technology in driving  applications.
We welcome papers that treat with  automotive-themed  topics  addressing
challenges such as how to improve driver-vehicle interaction  or driving
experience or what are technical difficulties  and  unresolved  problems
limiting a broader deployment in the near future.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Responsive, adaptive  and  evolvable  behaviors  in  immersive virtual
  environments that deal with driver-vehicle interaction in the interior
  or vehicle-pedestrian interaction in the exterior.
* Multiuser virtual environments.
* Mixed reality and the experience of real and virtual environments.
* Tools, techniques, frameworks and methodologies.
* Case  studies of  application of  augmented or virtual  reality in the
  automotive domain.
* Education in the  automotive field, e.g., driver training, using AR/VR
  technology.
* Evaluation and validation methodologies for the impact of AR/VR.
* Applications/solutions that deal with cognitive overload, distraction,
  inattentional blindness, simulation sickness.
* Studies  reporting the  benefit of AR/VR technology  towards attention
  (span), etc.
* Risk assessment of the use of augmented/virtual reality technology for
  driving and strategies to reduce its risk.
* Social capabilities of AR/VR technology in automotive environments.
* In- and inter-vehicle gaming applications.

-----------------------------| SUBMISSIONS |----------------------------
Papers  will  be  selected  based  on  scientific  rigor,   originality,
novelty,  and presentation  quality.  By submitting   a  paper   to this
special issue, the authors guarantee that their paper is  not  currently
submitted or  accepted  for publication  elsewhere.  Manuscripts  should
conform to the recently updated journal submission guidelines  available
at  <http://www.mitpressjournals.org/page/sub/pres>.  Please   note that
audio and video files can be hosted  as  supplementary  online  material
accompanying published articles.
For more information about multimedia file formats and submission guide-
lines, please contact <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> or one of the guest editors.

------------------------------| SCHEDULE |------------------------------
* Manuscript submission deadline: November 6, 2017
* Final revisions: April 15, 2018
* Planned publication: PRESENCE 27-3 (late 2018)

----------------------------| GUEST EDITORS |---------------------------
Andreas Riener
Center  of  Automotive   Research  on  Integrated   Safety  Systems  and
Measurement  Area (CARISSMA) and  Prof. for Human-Machine  Interface and
Virtual Reality, Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt (THI), Germany

Joseph L. Gabbard
Director  COGENT  Lab and  Assoc. Prof. of  Human Factors Virginia Tech,
Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Mohan M. Trivedi
Distinguished Professor Jacobs School of Engineering; Director LISA: Lab
for  Intelligent and  Safe  Automobiles, University of California at San
Diego, La Jolla, USA

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.

Andreas Riener, Prof. for Human-Machine  Interface and  Virtual Reality,
Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt (THI), Germany.
Phone: +49 (0) 841 / 9348-2833
Email: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>