From:
Parmit Chilana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:59:03 -0800
CFP: CHI 2018 Panels and Fireside Chats

At CHI 2018, we look forward to your panel and fireside chat submissions
<https://chi2018.acm.org/authors/panels/> that inspire new ideas, are
innovative in approach, and likely to engage the conference attendees.
Panels & Fireside Chats at CHI are not intended to be a series of short
papers in which panelists share similar perspectives or simply agree
with each other – we would like to see stimulating panels that ignite
thoughtful debates and discussions on new issues or existing issues
related to HCI research and practice. Panels can take the form of a
traditional panel of discussants with a moderator, a fireside chat in
which an individual gets interviewed by a moderator, or a roundtable in
which the moderator(s) pose the questions to the audience for
discussion. We would like you to be creative in proposing a format for
your panels! Panels offer the unique opportunity to bring multiple
people on stage at the same time and we highly encourage you to recruit
a diverse group of panelists who represent different disciplines,
methods, and perspectives from academia and industry.

Please see important dates and submission information below.

Parmit Chilana, Simon Fraser University
Julie Kientz, University of Washington
CHI 2018 Panels & Fireside Chats Co-chairs
https://chi2018.acm.org/authors/panels

*Overview*
Panels are an interactive, discussion oriented forum in which panelists
present and debate a chosen topic, and audience members are participants
in the discussion. Panelists are strongly encouraged to propose topics
likely to be of broad interest in the CHI community and interactive
sessions that will engage both the panelists and the audience in
creative ways. Panels & Fireside Chats are held in their own 80-minute
session at the conference.

Panels differ from Papers in that panels do not need to contain original
research. They differ from other venues like Demonstrations in that they
do not need to present a system or service. Panels are distinctive in
their focus on: 1) discussing topics of interest to the CHI community;
2) focusing on audience interaction with the panelists. At CHI 2018, we
are also encouraging other discussion formats, including fireside chats,
roundtable discussions, and Ask me Anything (AMA) formats.

*Important Dates*
Submission deadline: 15 January 2018 12pm (noon) PST / 3pm EST
Notification deadline: 9 February 2018
Publication-ready deadline: 19 February 2018 12pm (noon) PST / 3pm EST
Submission Format: 6- page proposal in Extended Abstracts Format,
including references.
Submissions are not anonymous and should include all author names,
affiliations, and contact information.
Selection process: Curated
*
**Preparing Your Submission*
Proposals must be submitted via the PCS Submission System by January 15,
2018 12pm (noon) PST / 3pm EST. The Panel proposal must submit an
extended abstract submitted as a single PDF file.

Extended Abstract. A maximum 6 page proposal (including references), in
the Extended Abstracts Format: The extended abstract should include the
title of the panel; the names and affiliations of the organizer(s),
confirmed invited participants, and participants who have been invited
but not confirmed. Although they can be invited only at the time of the
submission, we encourage organizers to get confirmation from as many
participants as possible prior to submission. All participants must be
confirmed at the time of camera ready, no exceptions. Within the 6-page
constraint you should summarize the main topic(s) to be presented,
debated, discussed, enacted, and any lessons or experiences you hope to
convey in the session, as well as contrasting or controversial
perspectives on the topic(s). You need to persuade the chairs that your
panel will be exciting, enjoyable, well-attended, and relevant to the
CHI community. You must list who will participate, how they have been
recruited, why these people were selected, what qualifications they
bring, and so on.

All panelists must be listed as Authors in the proposal and in the PSC
Submission System for scheduling reasons, and all authors must be
panelists or the panel moderator, no exceptions. You must include the
session format: how you will run it, the invited participants’ role,
your role, the audience role, and any special logistical needs (e.g.,
special seating or A/V, audience size limitations, use of student
volunteers, expectations about attendee background or interests, etc.).

Your proposal must stand alone; readers must be able to get something
out of the abstract even if they do not attend the panel session.
Regardless of the topic, all session proposals should include a plan for
engaging audience members in the interaction.

Experience suggests that it is better to have fewer panelists. Again, we
will not allow more than five panelists except in extreme circumstances.

It is important to us that panels represent the diversity of CHI’s
community, including diversity of gender, experience, national origin,
native language, race, ethnicity, and sexual identity. Panels that have
all representatives from one part of the globe or one gender may be less
favorably considered, unless it is fundamental to the panel’s
goals. Additionally, a diversity of ideas is strongly encouraged. Panels
can cover issues of pragmatic or applied importance in addition to
research issues. Panels are a great place to sound some of the major
debates of the field, whether about how we develop scholarly knowledge
or teach and apply that knowledge.

Submissions should not contain sensitive, private, or proprietary
information that cannot be disclosed at publication time. Submissions
should NOT be anonymous. However, confidentiality of submissions will be
maintained during the review process. All rejected submissions will be
kept confidential. All submitted materials for accepted submissions will
be kept confidential until the start of the conference, with the
exception of title and author information which will be published on the
website prior to the conference.
*
**Selection Process*
Panels will have a mix of invited and curated content. All proposals
submitted through this open call will be Curated. We will determine
which panels are accepted on the basis of the review criteria below, and
may decide to bring in outside experts for further review. Organizers
will be provided with the reviews of their submission after the decision
is announced. There is no mechanism for author response in the review of
panels, and decisions are final. In some special cases, the Panels
Chairs may request changes to the panel proposal as a condition of its
acceptance: a “conditional accept.” We encourage panel organizers to
respond to suggestions from the Panel Chairs as part of the conditional
accept rapidly and to engage in constructive dialog to produce the best
overall panel experience for the conference.

Authors will be notified of acceptance, conditional acceptance or
rejection on 9 February 2018. The organizer (i.e., the “contact author”)
of accepted panels will receive instructions on how to prepare and
submit the camera-ready version of their panel. These will be due on 19
February 2018.