From:
"McNaney, Roisin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McNaney, Roisin
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 11:00:00 +0000
Call for Participation: PDC 2018 Workshop on ‘Giving A Voice Through Design: Adapting Design Methods to Ensure the Participation of People with Communication Difficulties’

This full-day workshop will be held as part of the Participatory Design Conference 2018, held in Hasselt and Genk, Belgium, between 20 and 24 August 2018.

Important Dates:

  *   Submission deadline: 18th May 2018

  *   Notification: 25th May 2018

  *   Workshop day: 21st August 2018

Many participatory design methods are heavily reliant on the presence of communication skills, with approaches often focusing on verbal or written outputs. For people with communication difficulties it can often be difficult to engage with such approaches. This workshop aims to bring together researchers, designers and practitioners to explore share both positive and challenging experiences of working with users with communication difficulties within participatory design. We will generate a description of a set of design methods which have been adapted and used with people communication difficulties, with a view to enhancing the knowledge and skills of workshop participants for the future.

The three key aims of this workshop are to:

1) Explore how notions of ‘communication’ and ‘participation’ are understood within the context of designing with people of varying levels of ability;

2) Provide a space for researchers to share experiences of working with people with communication difficulties in participatory design, both successful and challenging;

3) Generate a series of methods descriptions detailing successful adaptations of, or novel, design techniques, which facilitate the participation of people with communication difficulties.

Through the establishment and subsequent promotion of these techniques, we aim to draw attention to the potential for future research which engages a larger population of citizens with varying communication difficulties. In doing this, we aim to further democratize the participatory design process by ensuring that we, as a community, can give a voice to this large group of people who might otherwise participate only via proxy or indeed not at all.

We invite researchers working with individuals with communication issues to submit 1-2 page case studies (in ACM Extended Abstract format) that describe the challenges and successes they have encountered in their technology design practice when working alongside people with communication difficulties. They should reflect on why specific methods may have been successful and illustrate how they have addressed or responded to any challenges encountered.

Submissions should be sent in .pdf format to [log in to unmask] Position papers will be reviewed by a committee of experts and selected on the basis of relevance to the workshop themes, quality of presentation, and potential to stimulate discussion. At least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop and at least one day of the main conference.

For more information, please visit: https://voicethroughdesign.wordpress.com.