Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 23:04:07 +0530
From:
Sayan Sarcar <[log in to unmask]>
 [Apologies for cross-posting]

*****************

* *Final CFP: CHI 2018 Workshop on Designing
Interactions for the Ageing Populations
(https://olderadultsmobileinterfaces.wordpress.com/chi-2018/
<https://olderadultsmobileinterfaces.wordpress.com/chi-2018/>)*

*    Final Submission Deadline (extended): February 15, 2018

*    Montréal, Canada, Sunday, April 22, 2018

*    One full day workshop

*    Organizers:  Sayan Sarcar, Cosmin Munteanu, Jussi Jokinen, Antti
Oulasvirta, Neil Charness, Mark Dunlop, Xiangshi Ren

*    Highlights:

·  Invited speakers from gerontology and accessibility

·  Panel discussion

·  Madness session

·  Interactive Demonstrations

· Top quality position papers maybe invited to a reputed journal special
issue on Interactive Technologies for Older Adults

*****************

This workshop focuses on discussing different user interface design
methodologies, which will help older adults to access current digital
technologies. For example, “mobile device” is one of the prominent current
and future forms of mobile computing, including phones, tablets, and
wearables. Mobile devices’ ownership rates for older adults are increasing,
yet there are very less concrete principles for designing for older adults.
The absence of guidelines risks marginalizing older adults by increasing
the barriers toward their digital participation. Further, evaluating both
the usability and the social and personal benefits of older adult friendly
mobile interfaces is challenging and not well supported by existing HCI.
Overall, we think that by providing easier access to information through
digital devices, older adults can be better involved in and their Quality
of Life will be enhanced. This workshop welcomes contributions to empirical
studies, theories, design, and evaluation of user interfaces for older
adults. Concretely, we aim to: map the state-of-art of senior-centred
interaction research, build a multidisciplinary community of experts, and
raise the profile of this research within the SIGCHI community.

We invite contributions in one or more of four threads: empirical (e.g.,
specific findings and methodologies related to the workshop theme),
theoretical (e.g. theoretical insights from accessibility, gerontology,
cognitive psychology etc.), design (e.g., interface design practices and
guidelines), and evaluation (e.g., methods and metrics to evaluate
senior-centred interfaces).

We welcome all HCI topics related to older adults
and digital devices. The topics include, but not limited to:

- Effects of age-related decline in perceptual, cognitive, and motor
performance on digital devices use

- Models of user performance and individual differences

- User interface design patterns and metaphors

- Assistive technology devices for older adults

- Societal implications, including digital divide and social exclusion

- Evaluation methodologies

- Ethical concerns

At the workshop, we intend to showcase research on some of these issues
through short presentations of authors as well as plenary discussions and
birds of a feather groups, focusing on areas of interest that are important
to the greater older adult community.

The 'Interactive Demonstrations' session is a new feature of this year’s
workshop. We strongly encourage authors of position papers to bring a
developed working prototype of their work, if they have. During the
session, other workshop participants will be able to try out different apps
or hardware prototypes. We expect this will provide participants with
valuable feedback and stimulate their senior-centred design ideas for
future improvements. Where feasible, we will coordinate distribution of
participant’s demo apps prior to the workshop.
We are also currently finalizing agreements with a journal publisher for a
special topics issue on Interactive Technologies for Older Adults. A
selected set of accepted top quality position papers from the CHI workshop
will have their authors invited to submit full papers to this special
topics issue. Details will be finalized before the CHI 2018 conference.

Submission

A 4-6 page (excluding reference) position paper in the CHI Extended
Abstracts Format (*https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/
<https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/>)* (PDF file) should be
sent to [log in to unmask] Position papers will be reviewed based
on relevance to the workshop and the potential for contributing to
discussions on methods and the research agenda to be developed
during the workshop.

Registration

At least one author of each accepted position paper must
attend the workshop and all workshop participants must
register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.

We look forward to receiving your submissions!

Important Dates

Submission Deadline (extended): February 15, 2018

Notification sent to authors: February 20, 2018

Camera-Ready Submission Due: February 24, 2018

Workshop Day: April 22, 2018

Organizers

Sayan Sarcar  – Center for Human-Engaged Computing, Kochi University of
Technology, Japan

Cosmin Munteanu  – Institute for Communication, Culture, Information, and
Technology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, Canada

Jussi Jokinen  – Aalto University, Finland

Antti Oulasvirta  – Aalto University, Finland

Neil Charness  – Institute for Successful Longevity, Florida State
University, USA

Mark Dunlop  – Strathclyde University, Glasgow, UK

Xiangshi Ren  – Center for Human-Engaged Computing, Kochi University of
Technology, Japan

For more information about the workshop, please visit at
<https://arabhci.org/2017/10/chi18-workshop>*https://olderadultsmobileinterfaces.wordpress.com/chi-2018/
<https://olderadultsmobileinterfaces.wordpress.com/chi-2018/>* or send us
email at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,