Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:27:47 -0400
Kluwer Academic Publishing is pleased to announce Volume 1 of

===================
  D I A G R A M S
===================

A new journal fostering an interdisciplinary approach to the study of
representational systems.

Diagrams play a central role in many important endeavors.  Diagrams, the
first journal to explore all aspects of the theory, design and use of
diagrams from multiple perspectives, will present high quality peer
reviewed research from all academic disciplines with the intention of
advancing our understanding of these fundamental forms of representation.
By investigating the nature of diagrammatic representations in the broadest
sense we hope to gain critical insights into our intellectual, cognitive,
social, cultural, and technological lives.

Diagrams targets topics that provide insight into the nature and use of
diagrams, including:
 > novel representations that support multiple tasks in substantial domains
 > principles for the design of effective diagrams
 > encoding high dimensionality information in 2D displays
 > visual and cognitive processes underpinning diagram use
 > techniques and tools to support the creation of complex diagrams
 > social and cultural aspects of diagram use
 > analysis of alternative representations
 > historical evolution of representational systems
 > roles and use of multiple representations
 > experimental and analytic techniques for the study of diagrams
 > computational aspects of diagrams

=For more information=
http://www.diagrammaticreasoning.org/journal.html

=Editors=
Michael Anderson, Fordham University ([log in to unmask])
Peter Cheng, University of Nottingham ([log in to unmask])

=Editorial board=
Tom Addis, University of Portsmouth
Gerard Allwein, Indiana University
David Barker-Plummer, Stanford University
Alan Blackwell, University of Cambridge
B. Chandrasekaran, Ohio State University
Gennaro Costagliola, Universita' di Salerno
Richard Cox, University of Sussex
Max Egenhofer, University of Maine
George Furnas, University of Michigan
Janice Glasgow, Queens University
Mark Gross, University of Washington
Volker Haarslev, University of Hamburg
Pat Hayes, University of West Florida
Mary Hegarty, University of California, Santa Barbara
Mateja Jamnik, University of Birmingham
Robert Lindsay, University of Michigan
Ric Lowe, Curtin University of Technology
Kim Marriott, Monash University
Robert McCartney, University of Connecticut
Bernd Meyer, Monash University
Hari Narayanan, Auburn University
Patrick Olivier, University of York
Clive Richards, Coventry University