From:
"Sas, Corina" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sas, Corina
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:12:23 +0000
Dear colleagues,

Please forward this position to your network and outstanding candidates.

School of Computing and Communication at Lancaster University seeks to appoint a Research Associate to work on the AHRC project Digital Threads focused on promoting economic development by capturing the cultural heritage of rural weaving practices in Malaysia.

This is a full time position until 13 Feb 2019
Vacancy number A1913
Application Deadline: 24 August 2017
Salary:   £26,829 to £31,076

Job description
The School of Computing and Communications offers a highly collegiate and stimulating environment for research career development. The aim of this project is to develop a platform consisting of mobile applications integrated with blockchain technologies to capture the authenticity of the making process and its raw materials: applications for supporting makers’ online presence, authoring tools for their multimedia stories of handcrafting process, and tools for online co-design of bespoke products with customers. The selected candidate should have at least MSc or equivalent experience in Computer Science and demonstrate a research background in the areas of user interface design, mobile app design and development, and co-participatory design. The role will require engagement with external partners and stakeholders and support the technical management of two of the project work packages. Therefore, excellent communication skills and experience of collaborative projects will be essential. Experience in blockchain technology is desirable but not compulsory as the successful candidate will benefit from collaboration with the industrial partner with expertise in development of blockchain technologies.

Employer (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk)
Lancaster University is also ranked in the Top 1% of universities globally. Lancaster University’s research has been rated as world leading in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, and ranked 13th for the percentage of world leading research. The City of Lancaster was recently ranked as one of the top 10 'most vibrant' urban centres in the UK (2013). Our accommodation has won the 'Best University Halls' award in the National Student Housing Survey of 120 UK institutions for last six years running, including the 'Best Customer Service' and 'Best Moving in Experience' awards in 2015.

School of Computing and Communications (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/scc/)
The School of Computing and Communications is a hub of world-class research and teaching in computer science and communications systems, ranked #7 in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research REF2014. School' s research is recognised for its exceptional quality and international reputation and is supported by RCUK, EU and industry funding. As a result, our work crosscuts traditional research fields, is strongly multidisciplinary, and focuses on achieving high impact. We have contributed substantially to a wide range of application domains including energy, transport, cyber-crime and social computing, and achieving impact is facilitated by our Knowledge Business Centre (KBC), the School's integrated business services and incubator unit. The School has developed a fantastic reputation with its students, and has been praised for its ambition, positivity and friendly atmosphere. By providing a number of support methods, accessible at any stage of the degree, we strive to give our students the best opportunity to fulfil their potential, in order to attract the very best opportunities for a successful career. The School has ranked #1 in the UK for graduate prospects The Times and Sunday Times (2016 and 2017).

Additional information: https://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=A1913

For more information about this vacancy you can contact Corina Sas at: [log in to unmask]

Best,
Corina

Professor Corina Sas
School of Computing and Communications