SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:58:30 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Amanda Holland-Minkley <[log in to unmask]>
Following on Doug's recent distribution of the final document for the SIGCSE 2018 special session, we discussed as a group over the summer that one of the places we could use some more information is about the type of voice a permanent group might provide for liberal arts computing so we can better understand that need.

I've drafted a very short survey that we could send to the sigcse-members list. I thought about the goals of the survey as understanding likely audiences and likely messaging for whatever voice a permanent group might provide. I tried to keep it mostly closed questions to make it easier to complete and easier to analyze.

I've included that text below to get some feedback. Suggestions both about structure and if the set of questions seems complete as well as wording suggestions or additions to the lists of options are all welcome. I'm hoping this is a starting point you can all help improve.

Best,
Amanda

Draft Survey to SIGCSE Mailing List

The SIGCSE Committee on Computing Education in the Liberal Arts has been working to identify any distinctive needs of liberal arts computing educators. We have gathered evidence that the liberal arts computing community would benefit from a permanent group that would support collaboration and information sharing within the community. There is also some evidence that a permanent group could provide a useful voice for liberal arts computing to external audiences. This survey seeks to gather additional information on this need.

What audiences have you most engaged in discussing or advocating for liberal arts computing?
[CHECK ALL THAT APPLY]
__ Current students and their families
__ Prospective students and their families
__ Potential employers of students/graduates
__ Graduate programs
__ Funding agencies
__ Educational policy groups
__ Faculty and staff at your own institution
__ Computer science faculty at other institutions
__ Media
__ Other: _____
__ None

Which audiences would most benefit from having access to an organized voice for liberal arts computing?
[CHECK ALL THAT APPLY]
__ Current students and their families
__ Prospective students and their families
__ Potential employers of students/graduates
__ Graduate programs
__ Funding agencies
__ Educational policy groups
__ Faculty and staff at your own institution
__ Computer science faculty at other institutions
__ Media
__ Other: _____
__ None

Have you personally been asked to or had the opportunity to represent the liberal arts computing perspective within a broader discussion of computing education?
__ Yes
__ No
If no, please describe: _____

What message or perspective do you think most exemplifies the voice of liberal arts computing?
[FREE ENTRY TEXT BOX]

Do you consider yourself to be involved in liberal arts computing education?
__ Yes
__ No

If yes, what is the nature of your relationship to liberal arts computing (select your current primary connection)?
[CHECK ONE]
__ Currently employed in liberal arts computing education
__ Previously employed in liberal arts computing education
__ Graduate of a liberal arts computing program
__ Interested in liberal arts computing education

Dr. Amanda M. Holland-Minkley
Professor, Computing and Information Studies
Washington & Jefferson College