Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 13:51:35 +0100
From:
Michel Beaudouin-Lafon <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
**Apologies for cross-posting**

=============================

CHI 2018 Workshop - Rethinking Interaction: From Instrumental Interaction to Human-computer Partnerships
Second call for participation

=============================

Submission deadline: Friday, 9 February 2018
Notification (revised date due to early bird CHI registration date): Thursday, 22 February 2018
Workshop date: Sunday, 22 April 2018

Workshop website: http://ex-situ.fr/workshops/rethinkinginteraction-18

=============================

CHI 2018, April 21-26, Montréal, Canada
https://chi2018.acm.org <https://chi2018.acm.org/>

=============================

== Introduction ==

Today’s interactive systems are fraught with limitations and incompatibilities: they lack interoperability and flexibility for end users. This one-day workshop offers an interdisciplinary forum for researchers interested in challenging the fundamental assumptions that underlie today’s graphical user interfaces. We will build upon existing design principles, such as instrumental interaction and co-adaptive systems, to rethink how to create productive human-computer partnerships. We will address three primary challenges:

·     How can we create interactive digital environments that are flexible enough to support appropriation by end users?
·     How can we combine human intelligence with artificial intelligence to optimally benefit human activities rather than simply replace them?
·     How can we help users shift easily across different types of human-computer partnerships, from full user control to full automation?

Please visit the workshop web site for more information at http://ex-situ.fr/workshops/rethinkinginteraction-18

== Submission details ==

We welcome submission of 3-4 page position papers (excluding references) in the CHI Extended Abstracts Format (https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/) that describe theoretical frameworks or real-world examples that exceed the limits of current interactive systems. The submission deadline is Friday, 9 February 2018. Please send submissions by email to [log in to unmask]

All papers will be reviewed by members of the workshop program committee based on their relevance to the workshop and the likelihood of contributing to a lively discussion. Notifications will be sent by Thursday, 22 February 2018 (the date was moved back from 26 February due to the deadline for CHI early bird registration of March 1st).

The organizers can fund travel expenses for a few students to attend the workshop, to encourage the participation of more junior researchers who are interested in the long-term direction of the field.

At least one author must register for the workshop and one day of the CHI 2018 conference. Position papers will be available to participants prior to the workshop.

== Workshop Organizers ==

Michel Beaudouin-Lafon (Université Paris-Sud)
Wendy Mackay (Inria)

If you have any questions, please send us an email at [log in to unmask]

--------
\    Michel Beaudouin-Lafon - [log in to unmask] - http://www.lri.fr/~mbl
/    LRI - Université Paris-Sud / Institut Universitaire de France