Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:04:33 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Martin Porcheron <[log in to unmask]>
**
** Voice-based Conversational UX Studies and Design workshop
** at CHI 2018, at the Palais des Congrès de Montréal
**
** Submission: 2nd February 2018
** Notification: 22nd February 2018
** Workshop: 22nd April 2018
**
** https://voiceux.wordpress.com/
**

This one-day workshop will bring together researchers and practitioners who study and design voice
or ‘conversational’ user interfaces. We invite participants to share and discuss what has been
learned from practice-oriented empirical studies of voice interfaces in use, to understand design
opportunities available for voice and conversation as an interaction modality. We specifically seek
presentations of ‘unfinished work’ and contributions of data on voice UI use that would benefit from
discussion and analysis in the workshop.

We intend to make use of an interactive data session to examine a selection of empirical data
provided by organisers and participants (e.g., audio or video recordings of voice UIs in use), and
to consider creative approaches to how we might ameliorate or rethink the many challenges that face
voice interaction design. The emphasis of the day will be to establish a generative programme of
work for turning findings from empirical studies into actionable design implications.

Interested workshop participants should submit a 3–6 page position paper in the CHI 2018 Extended
Abstracts format (incl. references) describing their ongoing work related to the workshop including,
but not limited to:
* qualitative research of voice interfaces in use, with an emphasis on practice-oriented approaches,
such as audio-visual data ‘vignettes’ demonstrating aspects of voice interfaces in use;
* design methods and approaches for voice interaction grounded in empirical work.

We will select papers based on: a) relevance to the workshop, b) quality of the submission, and c)
the diversity of the participants. We will limit the size of the workshop to 20-25 people to ensure
effective and focused discussion in the second and third parts of the workshop. At least one author
of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop, and all participants must register for
both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.

ORGANISERS <<
Stuart Reeves, Martin Porcheron, and Joel E. Fischer — University of Nottingham
Heloisa Candello — IBM Research - Brazil
Moira McGregor and Donald McMillan — University of Stockholm
Robert J. Moore — IMB Research - Almaden
Rein Sikveland — Loughborough University
Alex Taylor — City, University of London
Julia Velkovska and Moustafa Zouinar — Orange Labs

SUBMISSION INFORMATION <<
Submissions must be sent be *2nd February 2018 5pm UTC* and notifications will be sent to authors
by 22nd February 2018. Instructions for submission can be found on the submission webpage.

MORE INFORMATION <<