From:
Jin Ryong Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jin Ryong Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2019 19:55:59 -0800
Call for Proposal

Student Innovation Challenge in Haptics and Multisensory Feedback for the
Next Generation Mobility

* Please note that in World Haptics 2019, we have two student innovation
challenge programs. Please visit
http://www.worldhaptics2019.org/studentinnovationchallenge/ for more detail
of both programs.

Hyundai Motors and IEEE World Haptics 2019 are pleased to announce the 2nd
Student Challenge in Automotive Haptics. The Student Challenge in
Automotive Haptics has grown into a worldwide student challenge program for
students to demonstrate their research ideas and skills in automotive
haptics solutions. In this year, we further extend our original theme to
“Student Innovation Challenge in Haptics and Multisensory Feedback for the
Next Generation Mobility”.  In this challenge, we invite teams of
undergraduate and graduate students from all over the world to propose and
create innovative haptics solutions for the next generation mobility. We
particularly seek high-quality haptics solutions that can be applied to
vehicular and mobility technology including but not limited to in-car
entertainment, driving and mobility technology, smart cars, vehicle
sensors, and autonomous driving.

How to Participate
A team must complete both proposal form (download) and participation
agreement (download) and submit them by February 3, 2019 (11:59PM UTC) to
here. Only PDF files of both proposal and participation agreement are
allowed for the submission. No late submissions are accepted. The proposal
should be completed in English only.

A team must be formed between 2 to 5 student members, and one advisor must
be included in the team. The advisor should serve as a mentor who is
willing to spend his/her time and be an expert in guiding the students
including but not limited to professors, researchers, and engineers. All
student team members should be students (all stages of their university
careers, from undergraduate to graduate, excluding post-docs) at the time
of submitting the proposal, and the work must be done by the students only.
A student member is allowed to participate only up to one team. However,
the same advisor can participate up to three teams.
A total of five up to ten teams will be selected for the second round based
on the quality and feasibility of the proposals. All selected teams will
receive the initial grant to cover the material expenses for building the
prototype of what they proposed. Teams will compete for $2,500 in cash
prizes at IEEE World Haptics Conference 2019 in Tokyo, Japan.

Proposal Guideline
Proposal should contain solid and concrete ideas and the participants must
demonstrate their skill set for actual development of their prototype.
Please note that there are no restrictions on proposal topics as long as
they can be applied to vehicles (mid-air haptics touchscreen haptics,
fingertip haptics, etc). In the proposal form, you should include a figure
that describes the main concept of your idea, followed by problem
statement, idea description, prototype description, skill set,
contribution, intellectual property survey, timeline, and budget plan.

Selected Teams
Accepted teams will be expected to attend IEEE World Haptics Conference
2019 (Tokyo, Japan) to give a live demo presentation of their work, and
discuss their proposed solution with a panel of Student Competition Judges
with possible oral presentations. Based on the criteria below, the
competition judges will rank and identify an overall winner of the
competition as well as second and third place teams.  At least one student
member of each team must attend the full conference to present the team’s
work, and will be responsible for conference registration fees and travels.
However, we may have limited funds to support students to travel and
logistics. We will announce it when the funds are available.

Reviewing Criteria
Each team’s proposal and actual work will be reviewed by both academic and
professional experts in haptics and automobile industries. Please see below
for reviewing criteria:
- Proposal
o Originality and Creativity
o Clarity of Idea
o Quality of Proposals
o Utility

- Actual demo implementation and presentation
o Originality and Creativity
o Quality of Completeness
o Clear Communications
o Utility
o Progress Reports

Awards
- 1st place team: $2,500 USD
- 2nd place team: $1,000 USD
- 3rd place team: $500 USD

Important Dates
- Proposal submission deadline: January 25, 2019
- Notification: February 18, 2019
- 1st Progress report: March 29, 2019
- 2nd Progress report (including video): June 14, 2019
- Competition: July 9-12, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is including an advisor mandatory?
A. Yes, it is mandatory.

Q. Who owns intellectual property?
A. A team who proposed an idea will own the IP. Hyundai Motors will have
the right of the first negotiation to obtain an exclusive license.

Q. Total amount in my budget plan exceeds an initial grant. What should I
do?
A. We will review and evaluate the proposal including the budget plan to
see if the list of materials is appropriate to develop a prototype. If the
amount in budget plan exceeds, the initial grant, we may consider an extra
grant.

Q. I am a post-doc. Can I join the team?
A. Unfortunately, no. We consider students as all stages of their
university careers, from undergraduate to graduate only. You can join the
team as an advisor.

Q. Can I publish a paper based on the proposal?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I write a proposal in my home language other than English?
A. No. The proposal should be completed in English only.

Q. In a proposal, can you clarify section 6 regarding intellectual property?
A. What we are actually evaluating this section is that your idea is
original and does not infringe patent rights of others. If there exist(s)
similar patents, you may want to argue that your idea is different and you
can avoid the infringement by implementing yours differently. This is the
strategy part.

Q. How do I write a statement of contributions?
A. You need to write a statement that states how your idea contributes to
car industries, haptics communities, human lifestyle, etc.

For more information, please contact [log in to unmask]