Date:
Fri, 31 May 2019 22:13:11 +0200
From:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
= HealthMedia 2019
= Fourth International Workshop on
= Multimedia for Personal Health and Health Care
= colocated with ACM Multimedia 2019, Nice, France
= October 21-25, 2019
= Submission Deadline: July 7, 2019

Call for papers
===============

Multimedia and multi-modal sensors have become an integral part of our lives. We take pictures and videos, communicate with rich media beyond voice and text, we post to Instagram and Facebook, and collect tremendous amounts of sensor data about our lives through our devices. This opens amazing opportunities to solve personal and societal challenges, but also imposes new and so far unforeseen questions. Multimedia has thus evolved into a core enabler for future interactive and cooperative applications at the heart of society. Managing one’s health is among the most personal and most important challenges. Within this workshop, we will explore the relevance, contribution and future directions of multimedia to health care and personal health. Contributions of multimedia in this field now already range from medical imaging to daily life monitoring, from hi-tech medical devices to low-cost wearable sensors to analyses of personal media archives. Furthermore the ongoing progress in both multimedia and medical research, will lead to new opportunities and future growth in this exciting field.

The workshop will focus on three primary topics that have emerged from previous versions of this workshop. Data collection: Data is the basis of all services. We must make sure that meaningful data can be collected by everybody and over long periods of time, for use in personal health as well as on a population level. Interdisciplinary research: Technology for health is inherently interdisciplinary. Research in this field must therefore also be interdisciplinary, opening new opportunities, but also raising new challenges. Grand challenges: As a highly interdisciplinary and novel field of work, many challenges go beyond what the individual researcher can tackle. These require a broad discussion in the research community, but also in other research fields, and ultimately in society and politics.

Topics of interest
==================

The workshop will focus on three primary topics that have emerged from previous versions of this workshop. Data collection: Data is the basis of all services. We must make sure that meaningful data can be collected by everybody and over long periods of time, for use in personal health as well as on a population level. Interdisciplinary research: Technology for health is inherently interdisciplinary. Research in this field must therefore also be interdisciplinary, opening new opportunities, but also raising new challenges. Grand challenges: As a highly interdisciplinary and novel field of work, many challenges go beyond what the individual researcher can tackle. These require a broad discussion in the research community, but also in other research fields, and ultimately in society and politics We address six central themes to tackle these challenges:

Devices and sensors: What rich multimedia data can we acquire today, using dedicated
wearables, general multimedia devices such as smartphones or cameras, or unrelated thirdparty sources? Which new sensors and devices are imaginable and will provide new data in the future? Which standards are available or must be developed to ensure general and easy access to all data?

Big data: How can we gain personal insights from collected media data? How can we extract
valuable information for large populations out of the personal data of millions of users?

Open datasets: How can we collect open datasets of annotated long-term data that could be
used for benchmarking and large-scale studies in health?

Stakeholder involvement: How can relevant stakeholders (both institutions and people) such as healthcare professionals, governments, companies, as well as individuals and their personal relations such as family, friends and the social networks be involved in the design of next generation health systems?

Interdisciplinarity: How can the different disciplines such as computer science, psychology, medicine, social sciences, or economics, to name just a few, collaborate fruitfully yet efficiently in research projects to develop sustainable next-generation health systems?

Legal & Ethical Issues: How do we deal with legal issues, such as the patient’s right for data privacy versus the public interest in large-scale health data? What restrictions are imposed on research and development by legal frameworks e.g. on medical device regulations? How much
can be collected and in what format?

The workshop is of a very interdisciplinary nature which is reflected by its faceted topics of interest, including, but not limited to

* Fusing, interpretation and visualization of health and wellness data.
* Supporting self-monitoring of personal health by multimedia
* Complex health monitoring from heterogeneous data streams
* Eye-movements and mental commands for impaired
* Brain computer interfaces and multimedia analysis.
* Multimedia in health behavior change technology
* Multimedia in personal health records
* Long term health monitoring beyond health behavior change
* Making sense of personal data for health
* Multimedia activity monitoring of health related daily activities
* Health related event detection in large data collections
* Multimedia for the self-management of personal health
* Multimedia retrieval for personal big health data collections
* AR/VR for exploring multimedia health data
* Machine Learning for personal health and health care

Submissions
===========
All submissions must be original work not under review at any other workshop, conference, or journal. While the workshop will accept papers describing completed work as well as work-in-progress, the emphasis is on early discussion of novel and radical ideas (potentially of a controversial nature) rather than detailed description and evaluation of incremental advances. The workshop accepts full papers (8 pages), short papers (4 pages) and demos (2-4 pages) in pdf. Reviews will be single-blind: author names and affiliations should be included. Submissions must follow the formatting guidelines of the main conference ACM MM 2019.

Paper submission site is https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=healthmedia2019

Deadlines
=========
- submission: July 7, 2019
- notification: August 5, 2019
- camera-ready: August 19, 2019
- workshop date: October 21-25, 2019

Organizers
* Susanne Boll. Media Informatics and Multimedia Systems, University of Oldenburg, Germany
* Jeannie S. Lee, Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore
* Jochen Meyer. OFFIS – Institute for IT, Oldenburg, Germany
* Nitish Nag, University of California - Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
* Noel O’Connor. Insight Centre for Data Analytics, Dublin City University, Ireland

contact: [log in to unmask]