From:
Matthias Baldauf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthias Baldauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:35:10 +0000
[apologies for cross-postings]

MDPI Journal *Multimodal Technologies and Interaction*
Special Issue "Smart Devices Interaction"

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/special_issues/Smart_Devices_Interaction

Submission deadline: May 20, 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS

In about one decade, mobile phones have emerged to become smart everyday companions equipped with high-resolution cameras and displays, wireless high-speed connections and a variety of built-in sensors. Since then, our way to interact with such devices has been changing tremendously: Instead of pressing hardware keys, we unlock our devices by looking at them, we interact with digital content through gestures and we ask virtual mobile assistants for help. At the same time, we increasingly employ portable and wearable smart devices to interact with real-world environments. We explore our immediate surroundings by gazing through smartphones and dataglasses, we pay with smartphones by touching payment terminals, and use them to remotely control home appliances, toys and even drones.

This Special Issue is focused on the next generation of interactions with smart devices. Its goal is to explore and evaluate novel interaction techniques and interactive services for modern mobile and wearable devices. We encourage authors to submit original research articles, as well as surveys. We are interested in experiences gained during designing, prototyping and evaluating such novel interactions in lab and field studies. Topics of interest for this Special Issue include, but are not limited to:

- Novel interaction techniques for mobile and wearable devices
- Advanced interactive context-aware mobile services
- Unobtrusive, implicit, and natural interactions styles for smart devices
- Multi-modal interactions and interactive services for smart devices
- Collocated multi- and massive user interactions with smart devices
- Multi- and cross-device scenarios and services
- Artificial Intelligence for smart device interactions
- User studies and case studies on the usage of smart devices and services
- Technical frameworks for realizing novel mobile interactions and experiences

SUBMISSIONS

Manuscripts should be submitted online at http://www.mdpi.com. Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere. MTI has no restrictions on the length of manuscripts, provided that the text is concise and comprehensive. All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page:
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/instructions

IMPORTANT DATES

The deadline for manuscript submission is *20 May 2018*. For more details please contact [log in to unmask] or visit the website:
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/special_issues/Smart_Devices_Interaction

GUEST EDITORS

Matthias Baldauf (FHS St.Gallen University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland)
Albrecht Schmidt (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany)
Christian Kray (University of Münster, Germany)