From:
"Posch, Irene" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Posch, Irene
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2019 22:03:44 +0000
We would kindly like to invite you to submit to the CHI 2019 Workshop ‘Troubling Innovation: Craft and Computing Across Boundaries’. Please also forward this call to colleagues who might be interested.

—————————-

CHI 2019 Workshop
Troubling Innovation: Craft and Computation Across Boundaries
Website: http://craftcomputerinteraction.net
Date: May 4th 2019, Glasgow UK

—————————-

Call for Participation
Deadline: February 12 2019

The one-day CHI 2019 workshop ‘Troubling Innovation: Craft and Computing Across Boundaries’ aims to bring together practitioners and scholars working at the intersection of craft and computation. In this workshop, we gather a globally distributed group of craft contributors whose work reflects crucial but under-valued HCI positions, practices, and pedagogies.

Whether through the study of maintenance, needlecraft, or computer-aided design, we examine craft as a crucial site for reworking the artefacts, tools, and settings through which long standing legacies of coloniality and industrialization unfold. Through historically and politically engaged craftwork, we seek to build community across boundaries and meaningfully broaden what constitutes innovation in HCI to date and possible futures of Craft and Computation.

We call for participants from diverse backgrounds including but not limited to creative activity, technical research, and critical scholarship in the social sciences interested in present, future and speculative perspectives on:
• Artefacts: The Objects of HCI Craft
• Tools: The Implements, Devices, and Machines of HCI Craft
• Environments:  The Sites of Craft and Computation

Please read the full workshop abstract for details about workshop setting and goals.
To apply, please submit a 2-4 page position paper/ annotated object/ craft portfolio in any format by 12 February 2019 through our website.
Please also plan to bring a physical artefact (or documentation thereof) related to your submission to the workshop.
At least one author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop and register for at least one day of the conference.

Please check http://craftcomputerinteraction.net for further information and to join our newsletter.

Please direct any questions you might have to the organisers through the workshop email address: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Irene Posch, TU Wien and University of Art and Design Linz, Austria
Özge Subasi, Koc University, Turkey
Daniela Rosner, University of Washington, USA
Raune Frankjaer, Aarhus University, Denmark
Amit Zoran, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Tania Perez-Bustos, National University of Colombia, Colombia