CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Options: Use Forum View

Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Sender:
"ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
X-To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:36:26 +0200
Reply-To:
Styliani Kleanthous <[log in to unmask]>
Message-ID:
Subject:
From:
Styliani Kleanthous <[log in to unmask]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
MIME-Version:
1.0
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (308 lines)
Apologies for cross-postings

IUI - ATEC
https://iuiatec.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------------
DEADLINE EXTENSION

Important Dates

Submission date  Dec 21, 2018
Notifications send   Jan 14, 2019
Camera-ready      Feb 15, 2019
Workshop Date    March 20, 2019


CALL FOR PAPERS
1st International Workshop on Intelligent User Interfaces for Algorithmic
Transparency in Emerging Technologies
to be held in conjunction with the 24th International Conference on
Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2019), 17-20 March 2019 in Los
Angeles, USA.
https://iui.acm.org/2019/

A selected set of accepted top quality papers will be invited to submit
their extended versions for publication in the UMUAI Special Issue on Fair,
Accountable, and Transparent Recommender Systems:
http://www.wis.ewi.tudelft.nl/uploads/media/UMUAI_SI_CFP_FATREC.pdf


MOTIVATION & GOALS
------------------------------------------
Computer algorithms and analytics play an increasing role in citizens’
lives, as they underlie popular information services and “smart”
technologies, which are rapidly being adopted across sectors of society.
Algorithms allow the exploitation of rich and varied data sources, in order
to support human decision-making and/or taking direct actions; however,
there are increasing concerns surrounding their transparency and
accountability. There is growing recognition that even when designers and
engineers have the best of intentions, systems relying on algorithmic
processes can inadvertently result in serious consequences in the social
world, such as biases in their outputs that can result in discrimination
against individuals and/or groups of people. Furthermore, many people are
completely unaware of, or not able the understand the algorithms that
mediate their interactions, even in systems they use daily.

A key issue is that many algorithmic processes are opaque to the user –
e.g., because they are too technically complex to be explained and/or are
protected trade secrets. The EU has even gone as far as mandating
explanations be provided on demand in algorithmic decision-making. Given
these considerations, the intelligent systems community needs to focus on
user tools (both technical and educational) to help them become aware of
algorithmic processes in the systems they use. As User interfaces are the
meeting point between the user and a computerized system’s algorithms, and
since for many users they represent the system and its capabilities, they
should also make the system and its reasoning transparent to the end user..

IUI ATEC’s goal is to focus on three principles that describe approaches to
combating algorithmic biases that can be applied by researchers, even
without access to a given system’s inter-workings: - Awareness: Raise
stakeholders’ awareness of the potential for biases and social harms that
could result from developing and using a given analytic system. - Data
provenance: Facilitate the exploration of the potential biases brought
about by human and automated data gathering processes that are used to
create training data for algorithmic systems. - Validation and testing of
outputs: Develop rigorous techniques for testing models and assumptions
used in analytic systems, evaluating the potential for social,
discriminatory harm.

Naturally, the user interface is where and how the Algorithmic Transparency
(AT) should occur and the challenge we aim at is how intelligent user
interfaces can make a system transparent to its users.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
---------------------------------------------------
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
 - Interaction design for AT
 - User Modelling for AT
 - Algorithmic Transparency in recommender systems
 - Social aspects in interaction design for AT
 - Biases in the Intelligent User Interfaces design
 -Transparency in Testing Intelligent User Interfaces

TYPES OF PAPERS
----------------------------------------------------
In IUI-ATEC 2019 we encourage original and relevant contributions focusing
on experiences and lessons learned from real-life applications, current
state-of-the-art methodologies, challenges tackled, and solutions adopted,
tools, algorithms, and services in the academic, public or private sector,
studies, theories, techniques, and evaluation procedures that could support
human-centered adaptation and personalization issues in various levels of
interactive environments. All workshop papers must contain original,
previously unpublished, research work abiding the two publication types:

- Research papers (up to 10 pages long excl. references), presenting work
in progress, lessons learnt, positions, emerging or future research issues
and directions on Algorithmic Transparency issues related to the design of
IUI.
- Posters: Each accepted paper will also be presented as a poster during
the coffee break/lunch at the conference. This is to allow maximum
visibility of your work.
- Demos: We are particularly interested in demos coming from industry
proposing novel interface designs addressing AT.

Manuscripts should be formatted using the ACM Standard (SIGCONF) templates (
http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template).

All papers will undergo a peer review process by at least two expert
reviewers to ensure a high quality. Referees will consider originality,
significance, technical soundness, clarity of exposition, and relevance to
the workshop’s topics. Papers should be submitted electronically as a
single PDF file through the
EasyChair submission system:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iuiatec2019.

Organizing Committee
---------------------------------------------------
Styliani Kleanthous, Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open
University of Cyprus  and RISE Research Centre, Cyprus
Tsvi Kuflik, University of Haifa, Israel
Jahna Otterbacher,  Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open
University of Cyprus  and RISE Research Centre, Cyprus
Alan Hartman, University of Haifa, Israel
Casey Dougan, IBM Research, Cambridge, USA
Veronika Bogina, University of Haifa, Israel

On behalf of the organizing Committee,

Styliani Kleanthous
Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open University of Cyprus  &
RISE Research Centre, Cyprus

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 12:59, Styliani Kleanthous <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Apologies for cross-postings
>
> IUI - ATEC
> https://iuiatec.wordpress.com/
>
> ---------------------------------------------
> LAST CALL FOR PAPERS
> 1st International Workshop on Intelligent User Interfaces for Algorithmic
> Transparency in Emerging Technologies
> to be held in conjunction with the 24th International Conference on
> Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2019), 17-20 March 2019 in Los
> Angeles, USA.
> https://iui.acm.org/2019/
>
> Important Dates
> Submission date  Dec 14, 2018
> Notifications send   Jan 14, 2019
> Camera-ready      Feb 15, 2019
> Workshop Date    March 20, 2019
>
> A selected set of accepted top quality papers will be invited to submit
> their extended versions for publication in the UMUAI Special Issue on Fair,
> Accountable, and Transparent Recommender Systems:
> http://www.wis.ewi.tudelft.nl/uploads/media/UMUAI_SI_CFP_FATREC.pdf
>
>
> MOTIVATION & GOALS
> ------------------------------------------
> Computer algorithms and analytics play an increasing role in citizens’
> lives, as they underlie popular information services and “smart”
> technologies, which are rapidly being adopted across sectors of society.
> Algorithms allow the exploitation of rich and varied data sources, in order
> to support human decision-making and/or taking direct actions; however,
> there are increasing concerns surrounding their transparency and
> accountability. There is growing recognition that even when designers and
> engineers have the best of intentions, systems relying on algorithmic
> processes can inadvertently result in serious consequences in the social
> world, such as biases in their outputs that can result in discrimination
> against individuals and/or groups of people. Furthermore, many people are
> completely unaware of, or not able the understand the algorithms that
> mediate their interactions, even in systems they use daily.
>
> A key issue is that many algorithmic processes are opaque to the user –
> e.g., because they are too technically complex to be explained and/or are
> protected trade secrets. The EU has even gone as far as mandating
> explanations be provided on demand in algorithmic decision-making. Given
> these considerations, the intelligent systems community needs to focus on
> user tools (both technical and educational) to help them become aware of
> algorithmic processes in the systems they use. As User interfaces are the
> meeting point between the user and a computerized system’s algorithms, and
> since for many users they represent the system and its capabilities, they
> should also make the system and its reasoning transparent to the end user..
>
> IUI ATEC’s goal is to focus on three principles that describe approaches
> to combating algorithmic biases that can be applied by researchers, even
> without access to a given system’s inter-workings: - Awareness: Raise
> stakeholders’ awareness of the potential for biases and social harms that
> could result from developing and using a given analytic system. - Data
> provenance: Facilitate the exploration of the potential biases brought
> about by human and automated data gathering processes that are used to
> create training data for algorithmic systems. - Validation and testing of
> outputs: Develop rigorous techniques for testing models and assumptions
> used in analytic systems, evaluating the potential for social,
> discriminatory harm.
>
> Naturally, the user interface is where and how the Algorithmic
> Transparency (AT) should occur and the challenge we aim at is how
> intelligent user interfaces can make a system transparent to its users.
>
> TOPICS OF INTEREST
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
>  - Interaction design for AT
>  - User Modelling for AT
>  - Algorithmic Transparency in recommender systems
>  - Social aspects in interaction design for AT
>  - Biases in the Intelligent User Interfaces design
>  -Transparency in Testing Intelligent User Interfaces
>
> TYPES OF PAPERS
> ----------------------------------------------------
> In IUI-ATEC 2019 we encourage original and relevant contributions focusing
> on experiences and lessons learned from real-life applications, current
> state-of-the-art methodologies, challenges tackled, and solutions adopted,
> tools, algorithms, and services in the academic, public or private sector,
> studies, theories, techniques, and evaluation procedures that could support
> human-centered adaptation and personalization issues in various levels of
> interactive environments. All workshop papers must contain original,
> previously unpublished, research work abiding the two publication types:
>
> - Research papers (up to 10 pages long excl. references), presenting work
> in progress, lessons learnt, positions, emerging or future research issues
> and directions on Algorithmic Transparency issues related to the design of
> IUI.
> - Posters: Each accepted paper will also be presented as a poster during
> the coffee break/lunch at the conference. This is to allow maximum
> visibility of your work.
> - Demos: We are particularly interested in demos coming from industry
> proposing novel interface designs addressing AT.
>
> Manuscripts should be formatted using the ACM Standard (SIGCONF) templates
> (http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template).
>
> All papers will undergo a peer review process by at least two expert
> reviewers to ensure a high quality. Referees will consider originality,
> significance, technical soundness, clarity of exposition, and relevance to
> the workshop’s topics. Papers should be submitted electronically as a
> single PDF file through the
> EasyChair submission system:
> https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iuiatec2019.
>
> Organizing Committee
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Styliani Kleanthous, Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open
> University of Cyprus  and RISE Research Centre, Cyprus
> Tsvi Kuflik, University of Haifa, Israel
> Jahna Otterbacher,  Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open
> University of Cyprus  and RISE Research Centre, Cyprus
> Alan Hartman, University of Haifa, Israel
> Casey Dougan, IBM Research, Cambridge, USA
> Veronika Bogina, University of Haifa, Israel
>
> On behalf of the organizing Committee,
>
> Styliani Kleanthous
> Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency - Open University of Cyprus  &
> RISE Research Centre, Cyprus
>
> --
>
>
>
> Styliani Kleanthous, Ph.D
>
> CyCAT - Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency
>
> Open University of Cyprus
>
> Phone: 22411904
>
> web: http://www.cycat.io/ <http://http/www.cycat.io/>
>
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/styliani-kleanthous/
>
>
>

-- 



Styliani Kleanthous, Ph.D

CyCAT - Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency

Open University of Cyprus

Phone: 22411904

web: http://www.cycat.io/ <http://http/www.cycat.io/>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/styliani-kleanthous/

    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
     mailto: [log in to unmask]

    To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
     mailto:[log in to unmask]

    For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

ATOM RSS1 RSS2