From:
Sayan Sarcar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sayan Sarcar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2018 00:25:48 +0900
*[Apologies for cross-posting]*

Link to the Posting [Master program
<http://www.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/grad/english/education/ep_master.html>, Doctoral
program
<http://www.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/grad/english/education/ep_doctor.html>]

*Deadline* for submission of printed and original documents: *December 19,
2018*

We are seeking applications for prospective Ph.D. and Master students to
start either in April 2019 (Spring) or October 2019 (Autumn). The students
are expected to work in any of the topics in the HCI area, i.e., Ageing and
Accessibility, User Experience and Usability, Games and Play, Interaction
techniques, Devices and Modalities where we aim to:

   - Designing multimodal text entry techniques
   - Computational User Interface Design
   - Designing Intelligent UIs to improve the Learnability of Mobile Devices
   - Designing interactive systems on smartphone, smartwatches, AR and VR
   - Understanding Cultural Effect of Older Adults’ New Technology Adoption

Successful applicants will join our newly founded HCI Lab in the Graduate
School of Library, Information and Media Science at the University of
Tsukuba which is about 70 km northeast of central Tokyo.

It is to be noted that this position will *not* be funded. Any interested
student is suggested either to search Japan government fellowships in their
own countries or funding options from external sources in Japan. For
further details provided in the University of Tsukuba website, please *see
Student Support* at: http://www.global.tsukuba.ac.jp/support

Graduate student requirement
To be eligible, applicants must have:

   - Backgrounds in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, HCI,
   Interaction Design, or Digital Media.
   - Strong skills in Computer and Web programming (specifically Android,
   Python, Matlab)
   - Ability to work individually or in a team
   - Excellent analytical and presentation skills
   - Basic understanding in either user interface design or quantitative
   research methods (i.e., experiment design, hypothesis testing)
   - Ability to read and understand research papers
   - Ability to write a research report

Please see the detail requirements for the Master and Doctoral degree
application in the School website (Master's degree English program
<http://www.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/grad/english/education/ep_master.html>, Doctoral
degree English program
<http://www.slis.tsukuba.ac.jp/grad/english/education/ep_doctor.html>). Let
me know if you do not have the TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS score, but planning on
taking the exams soon.

   - Filled up application form (Form 1 in the website)
   - A letter of recommendation from your previous degree supervisor
   - TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS score
   - Graduate and Degree certificates along with Academic Transcripts

If you meet these requirements, contact me in advance with your CV,
unofficial transcripts, research statement, TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS score for
further discussion.

*Deadlines: *
For prospective Master and Doctoral students, application period via
e-mail: November 21 to December 12, 2018 (Deadline for submission of
printed and original documents: December 19, 2018) [Please follow
application guidelines for details]. As the number of positions is limited
(in both Ph.D. and master level), we strongly suggest applicants submit a
research statement at [log in to unmask] on or before *December 4,
2018*.

*Graduate School of Library, Information and Media
Science, University of Tsukuba*
Information networks play an increasingly vital role in the circulation and
use of knowledge and information, to which traditional books, materials,
and academic literature have made a massive contribution. The importance of
information in multimedia form continues to grow. While information
networks have become similar to a huge library, we should develop new
library functions that allow us to manage and utilize information
resources. In response to this need, we conduct interdisciplinary research
on information and media studies.

The University of Tsukuba, a national research university, offers an
academic and international environment for students. The Graduate School of
Library, Information and Media Studies (GSLIMS) provides an
interdisciplinary environment for the study of the library, information and
media sciences. GSLIMS is a member of iSchools, a global consortium of
research-oriented information schools, and is also a member of CiSAP, a
consortium of information schools in the Asia-Pacific area.

Sayan Sarcar
Assistant Professor
Faculty of Library, Information, and Media Science
University of Tsukuba, Japan
https://sayansarcar.github.io/