From:
Robert West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:49:02 +0100
Please join us for a special full-day event on
*THE FUTURE OF THE OPEN WEB*
to be held at
*THE WEB CONFERENCE*
in San Francisco on May 16, 2019.

https://www2019.thewebconf.org/event-future-open-web

The Web has seen tremendous growth thanks to some of the technical and
social decisions that were made in the Web’s formation. Many of these
decisions reflect public, cooperative principles—an Open Web—rather than a
network that is exclusive, walled, private, and proprietary. However, many
questions about the governance and state of the Web have shifted or
remained unanswered over time. In this conversation, we will ask what the
future of the Web should say about our values, what our values should say
about the future of the Web, and how our hopes for an ideal Web of the
future might pan out in practice.

An exciting line-up of speakers already bodes well for the discussion (and
more speakers will be announced soon):

   - Lawrence Lessig (Harvard University)
   - Marietje Schaake (Member of European Parliament)
   - Brewster Kahle (Internet Archive)
   - Nadia Eghbal (Protocol Labs)
   - Tim Smith (CERN)
   - Alexandra Elbakyan (SciHub)
   - Adam Knight (University of Oxford)
   - Jan Gerlach (Wikimedia Foundation)

As a reminder, the early-bird registration deadline for The Web Conference
is coming up soon -- on March 6 -- so get your tickets soon!
https://www2019.thewebconf.org/registration

Bob West, EPFL
Stephen LaPorte, Wikimedia Foundation
Luc Henry, EPFL