Sender:
From:
Blaise Liffick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:55:01 -0400
Dear HCI Colleague:

I am excited to inform you of a new project in HCI education, and an
opportunity for you to participate actively.  You are probably familiar
with Ben Shneiderman's book, "Designing the User Interface," released
last fall in its Third Edition.  In conjunction with this release, a
new Web site - what Ben calls a "booksite" - has been inaugurated,
designed to provide interactive and dynamic support for HCI courses. I
am the project director of this site.  Its URL is http://www.awl.com/dtui.

This booksite currently contains the following instructional aids:

    *   project suggestions
    *   sample syllabi
    *   sample exams
    *   links to information sources organized by chapters
    *   links to other HCI educators
    *   lecture notes
    *   moderated discussion list

Future plans for the booksite include:

    *   teaching suggestions for each chapter
    *   demonstration systems
    *   animated illustrations
    *   good-vs.-bad screen design examples
    *   problem sets (with solutions) for each chapter

As project director, it is my task to collect and edit curricular
material from HCI educators.  The purpose of this mail, therefore,
is to solicit contributions of such material from you (as well as,
of course, to encourage your use of the site). The source of any
material contributed will be clearly identified on our Booksite.

A distribution list has been created (address is [log in to unmask])
for encouraging discussions of HCI education matters.  You can be added
to this list by emailing me directly or through the booksite.

Your participation in the various elements of this project does not
require that you be an adopter of Ben's book -- curricular material
from any HCI course will be considered for inclusion.  Indeed, we hope
that you will find this site a useful source of curricular material
for any HCI course you teach, regardless of what you choose as a primary
text.  While one level of organization of the site is around Ben's book,
I have tried to create other levels of organization that would make the
material accessible in other ways as well.

Please contact me as soon as possible to discuss inclusion of your
material in this site.  Thank you, and I look forward to working with
you on this exciting project.

Blaise Liffick

Blaise W. Liffick, Ph.D.                  (717) 872-3536  (voice)
Department of Computer Science            (717) 871-2320  (fax)
Millersville University                   [log in to unmask]
Millersville  PA  17551-0302     http://cs.millersv.edu/~liffick/