Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:04:17 +0200
From:
Matthias Kranz <[log in to unmask]>
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
======================

UbiComp 2006 - The Eighth International Conference on Ubiquituous Computing
   http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2006/

*** Early registration deadline: August 18, 2006
    Conference Date: 17. - 21.09.2006
    Conference Venue: Marriott Newport Beach, Orange County, California

*** Keynote speakers:
    Bruce Sterling, sci-fi author and journalist
    Brenda Laurel, Sun Microsystems Labs

*** The pigeonblog: live pigeons released during the conference, carrying
    instrumentation that measures and blogs air pollution. (Invited demo)

*** 30 research presentations and additional thought-provoking sessions

*** 75+ posters, demos and videos

UbiComp 2006 hosted by:
Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
University of California, Irvine

In cooperation with the ACM (SIGMOBILE, SIGBED, SIGCHI, and SIGSOFT)

PARTICIPATORY DEMONSTRATIONS AT UBICOMP'06:

1 - "WHODOUBI" DEMO AND STUDY

Would you be willing to try a "microlearning" application designed to help
you learn and remember names and faces of people in the UbiComp field?

WHODOUBI is a software application for the PC and mobile phone, designed to
be used in brief interactions as the conference approaches. It is both a
UbiComp demo and ongoing experiment. We will be collecting usage data and
presenting anonymized results at the conference.

We would like to seed the application with photos and names of members of
the UbiComp community. If you would like to help your fellow attendees
recognize you at the conference, please visit the demo web site to upload
your photo:
http://participate.media.mit.edu/MicroLearning/

Look for our August announcement to get the software for your PC and/or
mobile phone.

2 - UBIQUITOUS COMMUNITY ASSIST SYSTEM

We demonstrated a combined system consisting of a social networking
service(SNS) and onsite system for UbiComp2005 last year.
This system, consisting of web support systems and onsite support
systems, works to assist the creation and growth of communities of
attendees and the conference management via local committee.

We will present a new version of "Ubiquitous Community Assist System"
at the Ubicomp2006 Demo Session this year.
The web system will be operating from the middle of August gradually
upgrading itself until the conference.

This time, we also invite Ubicomp2006 demonstrators and attendees
to join us and develop an allied system, sharing interaction
information among all the sub-systems. Please feel free to contact us
for further information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Takuichi Nishimura, Ph.D.
Leader, Real World based Interaction Group
Information Technology Research Institute, AIST
E-mail: [log in to unmask]