From:
Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2019 16:51:37 +0100
/=========================================================
Apologize for unintended cross-mailing/
Focus section on
*Games for Urban Sustainability*

to be published at the
/*Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A)*/
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)
**** Since 2012 also in Scopus ****
**** *Since 2015 also* in *Emerging Sources Citation Index* and *Web of
Science* ***
*----------------------------------------------------------------
IxD&A implements the Gold Open Access (OA) road to its contents
with no charge to the authors (submission & paper processing)

Help us in improving the quality of the editorial process and of the
journal, please donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=5EUX7CQ3GKSSG

CFP:
http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102&link=call40fs
*Guest Editors:*

/• Andrea Vesco, Istituto Superiore Mario Boella, Italy
• Salvatore Di Dio, PUSH design lab, Italy
• Bernat Gaston, I2CAT, Spain/
*Important dates:*
• Deadline: *March 10, 2019*
• Notification to the authors: April 15, 2019
• Camera ready paper: May 10, 2019
• Publication of the special issue: end of May, 2019

*Overview*
How is it possible to design more sustainable cities in an era of zero
resources, rife social conflicts and unprecedented environmental issues?
When it comes to discussions about urban sustainability, the focus is
often on how to bring new technologies to improve the habitat. The
general attempt is to innovate, in many different ways, the city
hardware. Nowadays the area of urban innovation is experiencing a boom
in research attention, in particular considering the human nature.
Researchers, private companies and public bodies are now drawing on
lessons from the social sciences, trying to understand the behaviors
that shape use of resources and how people can be persuaded to use,
first of all, less resources. But, as Stephen Wendel in “ Designing for
Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics” pointed
out, people are reluctant in changing their habits. We rarely recognize
that to improve the quality of our neighborhood / city / region /
planet, and and of our life, we need to change our habits. Even though
we know it, we hardly start doing it. It’s hard, indeed, to believe in
the butterfly effect ( i.e. that our routines impact the entire
ecosystem) so every little change of our daily behaviors is perceived as
“unnecessary”.
With the attempt to radically change this perception, behavior change
techniques highlighted Gamification as an effective approach to follow.
The definition of play elaborated by Bernard Suits in “The Grasshopper:
games, life and utopia” really helps to make this connection clear:
playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary
obstacles. The triggers of games ( e.g. social motivation, intrinsic
benefits and monetary rewards) seem to have the power to provide
knowledge, to enhance relational skills and change people perception
about unhealthy behaviors, turning unnecessary habit changes into
necessary. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in “ Flow. The Psychology of the
Optimal Experience” clearly shows that games help to define new
enjoyable experiences, change citizens’ unsustainable habits and educate
to new environmental and social friendly ones. In the last decade, all
over the world, physical and virtual urban games are trying to
demonstrate these assumptions, but is it working? This focus session
aims at highlighting specifically those games for urban sustainability
that have measured (or foreseen) their impact in urban ecosystems
according to the triple sustainability ( i.e. social, economic and
environmental) or other impact frameworks.

*Topics of Interest*
• Gamification of urban experiences for the purpose of triple
sustainability.
• Games for behaviour change / people at core of the change.
• Co-creation with local stakeholders / co-creation at neighbourhood level.
• Impact assessment (social, economic and environmental) of games in
urban areas.
• New organisational and governance concept originated by the use of
games for urban sustainability.
• Changes in planning processes due to the use of results and data from
urban games development.
• Business models for scaling-up games approaches and make them a
sustainable business.

/*Submission guidelines and procedure*/
All submissions (abstracts and later final manuscripts) must be original
and may not be under review by another publication.
The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf format.
All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Authors are invited to submit 8-20 pages paper (including authors'
information, abstract, all tables, figures, references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines
->http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=101&a=7
<http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php>

*Authors' guidelines*
Link to the paper submission page:
http://ixdea-2018.uniroma2.it/ojs/index.php/ixdea/login
<http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php>
(Please upload all submissions using the Submission page.
When submitting the paper, please, choose the section:
"SI: Intermediate-level knowledge in Child-Computer Interaction")

More information on the submission procedure and on the characteristics
of the paper format can be found on the website of the IxD&A Journal
where information on the copyright policy and responsibility of authors,
publication ethics and malpractice are published.

For scientific advice and queries, please contact any of the
guest-editors below and mark the subject as:
/IxD&A SI: Intermediate-level knowledge in Child-Computer Interaction/

• vesco [at] ismb [dot] it
• s [dot] didio [at] wepush [dot] org

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
***
* Forthcoming issues:*
http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102

• Spring 2019
includes also a special issue on:
'Internediate-level knowledge in Child-Computer Interaction'
Guest Editors: Olef Torgersson, Eva Eriksson, Wolmet Barendregt, Tilde
Bekker

• Summer 2019
'Indigenous Knowledge and Practices contributing to new approaches in
learning/educational technologies'
Guest Editors: Kasper Rodil, Heike Winschiers-Theophilus, Tutaleni I.
Asino, Tariq Zaman

• Autumn 2019
'Co-Creation in the Design, Development and Implementation of
Technology-Enhanced Learning'
Guest Editors: Panagiotis Antoniou, Sebastian Dennerlein, István Koren,
Tamsin Treasure-Jones

• Winter 2019
'Smart Learning Ecosystems - design literacy as cornerstones of smart
education'
Guest editors: Stefania Manca, Matthias Rehm, Jelle Saldien, Carlo
Giovannella