Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2019 20:13:34 +0000
From:
Christian Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
CHI 2019 Symposium: HCI Across Borders and Intersections

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Glasgow, UK

Important Dates

  *   January 15: early submissions due for those needing visa support (please inform organizers if you need a visa support letter)
  *   January 31: participant notifications sent for early submissions
  *   February 12: all submissions due
  *   March 1: participant notifications sent
  *   March 31: camera-ready versions due
  *   May 4: symposium at CHI 2019
Submissions

  *   Position paper (800-1000 words, single column, 1.5 line spacing, Times New Roman, size 12 font, PDF format)
  *   One-page curriculum vitae
  *   Submissions on hcixb19.hotcrp.com<http://hcixb19.hotcrp.com>

About HCI Across Borders (http://hcixb.org)

The HCI Across Borders (HCIxB) symposium at CHI (initially held as the Development Consortium at CHI 2016, then as a symposium 2017-2019) has evolved into a critical collaborative effort to bring together researchers working in under-represented contexts around the world. Our mission has been to foster community across geographies, backgrounds, methodologies, and other borders. To achieve this, we have explored building bridges with the larger HCI community, and creating concrete mentorship opportunities for supporting HCIxB researchers in publishing at impactful venues such as CHI.

Theme for 2019

For 2019, our theme is "across intersections". We invite submissions that consider intersectionality in their work, or the recognition that multiple forms of marginalization (e.g., race, gender, class, religion, among others) must be understood in conjunction, with reflections on how this understanding might inform new opportunities in HCI research, design, and practice. Once again, we invite researchers and practitioners working across the globe, particularly those seeking to work across different borders, to participate in HCIxB 2019. As defined by our participants across the years, "borders" may entail national/geographical boundaries but also boundaries across diverse research interests, disciplines, methodologies, and more.

Submissions

We invite participants engaged in early-stage and mid-stage projects, so that presenters can seek actionable feedback from community members. Prospective participants are requested to submit a position paper that is 800-1,000 words long (single column, 1.5 line spacing, Times New Roman, size 12 font, PDF format) on http://hcixb19.hotcrp.com.<http://hcixb19.hotcrp.com./> This should clearly outline their views on the symposium theme and reason for interest. Submissions might identify how different facets of identity and forms of marginalization appear in their work, and discuss how looking at these intersections informs new, integrated questions. We have added a list of relevant readings on feminist and intersectional theories, and work that operationalizes them and grounds them in research, design, practice, and policy (see our website). We hope these will serve as a good starting point for those less familiar with these concepts.

Example submissions might include, but are not limited to, the topics below:

·  Deploying a national women's safety intervention in Nepal

·  Technology usage by Mexican migrants in the United States

·  Creating e-mentorship opportunities that bridge the rural-urban divide in the United States

·  Digitizing informal savings in Pakistan

·  Medical chatbots to improve healthcare delivery in Kenya

·  Media reconstruction and archiving on Cambodian Facebook

·  Community-led video education for digital financial services in India

Here are some questions you may want to consider answering in your submission:

·  Who are you? Please include your department, year of study, organization, etc.

·  What are your project/intervention/research motivations, goals, and questions?

·  What problems are you addressing? What solutions, if any, are you expecting to deliver?

·  In what context are you working? What are the social, political, or cultural conditions there?

·  What methods are you using/do you plan to use?

·  What have you found thus far?

·  What is novel or innovative in your approach? How does it stand apart from similar ones?

·  What is the status of your project? What are the challenges and obstacles you have found?

·  What are the expected contributions of your work?

·  Is intersectionality present in your work? Where and how?

·  How do you think attending HCIxB 2019 will be beneficial to this work?

In addition, please include a 1-page curriculum vitae. If you need a visa support letter, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with proof that your submission was accepted.

For examples of accepted submissions in previous years, please see:

2018: http://www.hcixb.org/past-events/chi2018/participants/

2017: http://www.hcixb.org/past-events/2017-2/accepted-papers-authors/

2016: https://hci4dacrossborders.wordpress.com/

All submissions will be reviewed by our program committee, and their acceptance will be conditional on their potential to contribute to the HCIxB community, and to foster discussion and growth among participants. Authors of accepted submissions will be invited to bring poster versions of their submissions at CHI. We will invite seasoned HCI researchers in relevant areas to provide rich feedback to symposium participants. A selection of accepted submissions will be invited to make short oral presentations.

For those who require a visa support letter to attend, the deadline is Tuesday, January 15, 2019. We will aim to send notifications for these by January 31, 2019. For all others, the deadline will be Tuesday, February 12. Notifications will be sent by Friday, March 1, confirming the list of oral/poster presenters, and all camera-ready versions will be due on Sunday, March 31. Please note that accepted submissions will not be indexed in the ACM DL but will be listed on the HCIxB website for participants to read before attending CHI. Through March and April, we will publish submissions as blog posts (on https://medium.com/hccxb). Please check www.hcixb.org<http://www.hcixb.org/> for relevant information, and email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with questions.

Schedule

HCIxB will take place on Saturday, May 4, 2019, as a one-day symposium. Our tentative schedule is below, and will be finalized after we have reviewed the submissions. All updates will be indicated on our website (www.hcixb.org<http://www.hcixb.org/>).

0900-0915: Opening Remarks

0915-1000: Panel

1000-1030: Tea/Coffee Break

1030-1130: Poster Session

1130-1230: Breakout Session

1230-1400: Lunch Break

1400-1500: Oral Presentations + Feedback

1500-1530: Tea/Coffee Break

1530-1700: Oral Presentations + Feedback

1700-1730: Closing Session

Bursaries

We will aim to obtain funding to pay travel expenses (or at least a portion thereof) for attendees in need, though we should clarify beforehand that this is going to be a challenge this year. Please know that there are multiple options for obtaining financial support, and it is up to you to apply once you have an accepted submission. Below is a short list of options:

SIGCHI Student Travel Grant, https://sigchi.org/conferences/student-travel-grants/student-travel-grant/

Gary Marsden Student Development Fund, https://sigchi.org/2017/08/gary-marsden-student-development-fund-now-opens-to-all-hci-relevant-conferences-and-sigchi-sponsored-summerwinter-schools/

Become a Student Volunteer, https://chi2019.acm.org/for-attendees/student-volunteering/

Organizers

(in alphabetical order)

Aditya Vashistha, University of Washington (USA)

Anicia Peters, Namibia University of Science and Technology (Namibia)

Apoorva Bhalla, IIIT Bangalore (India)

Christian Sturm, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences (Germany)

Christine Wanjiru Mburu, University of Cape Town (South Africa)

Cuauhtémoc Rivera Loaiza, University of Michoacan (Mexico)

David Nemer, University of Kentucky (USA)

Elefelious Getachew Belay, University of Milan (Italy)

Kurtis Heimerl, University of Washington (USA)

Laura S. Gaytan-Lugo, University of Colima (Mexico)

Leonel Vinicio Morales Diaz, Universidad Francisco Marroquin (Guatemala)

Lucia Marisol Villacres Falconi, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)

Lynn Kirabo, Carnegie Mellon University (USA)

Malay Bhattacharyya, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (India)

Marisol Wong-Villacres, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)

Michaelanne Dye, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)

Moinuddin Bhuiyan, Grameenphone Ltd. (Bangladesh)

Naveena Karusala, University of Washington (USA)

Neha Kumar, Georgia Tech (USA)

Nova Ahmed, North South University, Dhaka (Bangladesh)

Rama Adithya Varanasi, Cornell University (USA)

Rita Orji, Dalhousie University (Canada)

Susan Dray, Dray Associates (USA)

Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed, University of Toronto (Canada)

Vikram Kamath Cannanure,  Carnegie Mellon University (USA)

Contact

For updates, please check http://www.hcixb.org<http://www.hcixb.org/>

Email us your questions at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>