From:
Lynne Baillie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynne Baillie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:10:18 +0000
*CHI 2019 Workshop: The Challenges of Working on Social Robots that
Collaborate with People*

*Workshop at CHI 2019 in Glasgow*

*Workshop website: **http://www.ittgroup.org/about-workshop
<http://www.ittgroup.org/about-workshop>*

 *Important Information*

   - *Submission Deadline:* (on or before) 12 February 2019
   - *Notification of acceptance:* (on or before) 1 March 2019
   - *Workshop day:* Saturday, 4th May, 2019, Glasgow UK
   - *Submission template:* CHI Extended Abstracts. Please use the
   appropriate template*,
   <http://chi2019.acm.org/authors/chi-proceedings-format/>* available for
   both LaTeX
   <https://github.com/sigchi/Document-Formats/tree/master/LaTeX> and *Word
   <http://st.sigchi.org/sigchi-paper-template/SIGCHIExtendedAbstractsFormat.docx>*
(Windows
   and Mac).
   - *Submission format:* All submissions must be in PDF format and
   submitted through: *https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sirchi2019
   <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sirchi2019>*
   - *Review process:* Submissions will be peer reviewed based on their
   quality, relevance, and applicability to workshop themes and goals.
   - *Attendance requirements:* It is a requirement that at least one
   author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop and that
   all participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one
   day of the conference (*http://chi2019.acm.org/
   <http://chi2019.acm.org/>*)
   - Our workshop on the offical CHI site:
*http://chi2019.acm.org/accepted-workshops/
   <http://chi2019.acm.org/accepted-workshops/>*

We welcome papers (4-6 pages) on the topic of the workshop, but we are
especially interested in position papers outlining research work carried
out in one of our challenge areas, we would also welcome any new challenges.

*Call for Participation*

Despite advances in robotics, there are still currently many barriers and
challenges to adoption, not least the somewhat flaky hardware. However, it
is important that as robotics evolves and becomes more a part of our
everyday lives that we make sure that robots, especially socially
collaborative robots, integrate well into people’s routine practices,
homes, and communities. We welcome position papers from researchers who are
working in between or in the areas of HCI and HRI and who would like to
work together to find the right methods for studies relating to socially
collaborative robots in home, public, work and community settings.
Specifically, we need to consider a wide array of methods from efficacy and
effectiveness studies, to realistic evaluation, to lab testing, to design
and evaluation at scale and in the wild.

*Challenges*

·         Choosing the right methods for studies relating to socially
collaborative robotics in home, public and community settings.

·         Selecting and integrating methods from HCI and HRI that allow for
future repeatability of studies.

·         Communication related issues e.g. supporting effective social
interactions through cognitive and emotive computing, and through natural
interactions.

·         Managing the balance between appearance and capability, this
includes providing safe physical contact or moving within very close
proximity.

·         Addressing the level of user engagement and co-working/problem
solving with a socially collaborative robot.

·         Looking for what are the most appropriate ways for a social robot
to collect and manage data about the humans it interacts with.

·         Managing differences across regions, organisations, cultures,
practices and expectations between the many stakeholder groups.

·         Ensuring that our interaction methods and designs meet the
challenge of enabling socially collaborative robots without removing the
need for appropriate human social contact.

 *Organisers*

   - *Lynne Baillie <http://www.ittgroup.org/organisers#L.Baillie>* -
Heriot-Watt
   University (UK)