Sender:
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:44:32 -0700
From:
Bob Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
At Ben's suggestion, I'm forwarding this.

The Nov. SIGGRAPH policy column is now up at:

http://siggraph.org/pub-policy/CGColumn-11-2002.html

The introduction is enclosed.

Note the section on the new policy bibliography that is also enclosed.
I'm particularly interested in comments on this activity.

Bob Ellis
Chair, ACM SIGGRAPH Tech Policy Program

----------------------------------

Our first section is a recap of our program's activities at SIGGRAPH
2002 in San Antonio TX, written by our chairperson, Robert Ellis.

Next Myles Losch provides an update on entertainment industry
initiatives to force changes in computer design, so as to limit what the
public can do with copyrighted works.

Mark Banas who created and manages the new Public Policy email
discussion list describes that, and how to sign on via Web access.

Myles Losch attended an entertainment lawyers' luncheon meeting in Los
Angeles and gives a description here, together with comments on related
recent
developments.

For several months/years, Bob has been collecting a bibliography of
URL's of interest in the area of public policy and these are now
available on our website; a short description of content and how to
access this are in this column.

-------------------

SIGGRAPH On-Line Technology Policy Bibliography

Bob & Margie Ellis
November 2002

For several years I (BE) have been trying to decide how to make
available to people who are interested citations to the many articles I
read on technology policy. Late last year I took the first step by
saving the materials as plain text files.

There is now a collection of nearly 1,000 items. These have been
prepared for our website by the development of a Perl program (ME) which
extracts the citations and first few lines of each article. Almost all
the source materials are copyrighted and there aren't the resources to
request permission to reprint them. The extracts which contain the
citation, usually a URL and a sentence or two will provide people with
the necessary facilities to access the article directly, yet still
conform to the principles of the fair use of intellectual property.

The initial results will be available on
http://www.siggraph.org/pub-policy/bibliography.html concurrently with
the online publication of this column. The initial version is just plain
text but we have plans to make both the internal and external links live
as well as conform to the format our webmaster, David Richard Nelson,
has developed.