From:
"Michael G. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Reed <[log in to unmask]>, Dan Heller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:42:59 -0500
OLIVE: the On-line Library of Information Visualization Environments

Announcing OLIVE (http://otal.umd.edu/Olive/), the On-line Library of
Information Visualization Environments!  This web-site covers eight
categories of information visualization environments differentiated by
data type.  Within each category we have gathered what we feel are the
most important literary citations, commercial products, research
projects, and videos.  This web-site is a class project for Dr. Ben
Shneiderman's fall 1997 CMSC 828/838S graduate course on Information
Visualization at the University of Maryland, College Park, Department
of Computer Science.

Dr. Shneiderman originally proposed a taxonomy of information
visualization environments in his paper, "The eyes have it: A task by
data taxonomy of information visualizations."  Following this
taxonomy, Chris North assembled a set which he entitled, "A Taxonomy
of Information Visualization User-Interfaces."  Building on that
original reference set, and Dr. Shneiderman's recent book, Designing
the User Interface (3rd Edition), our class has attempted to update,
expand, and annotate Chris North's original page.

We provide several approaches to viewing our site with the idea of
illustrating a few of the approaches available for visualizing
information presented on the web. Specifically, we offer a traditional
Graphics & Text interface, a Frames interface, a Text Only interface,
and a WebTOC interface. To avoid duplicate data that can become
inconsistent between interfaces, we dynamically rebuild the entire
web-site whenever changes are made to the input files for the site. A
detailed report on this process is available at:
http://otal.umd.edu/Olive/Report.html.

Michael Reed ([log in to unmask]) &
Dan Heller ([log in to unmask]), Editors.