From:
Peter Bednar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Bednar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:02:18 +0200
Preliminary Call for Papers

Special Issue of the Informing Science Journal: A double helix
relationship of use and re-design in IS?

IS research has for quite some time been focused on design.
Earlier~researchers, on the other hand, tended to write about development.
Less attention has been paid by IS researchers to the aspect of use and
all the learning and unlearning demanded~of those, who are said to be
helped by clever designers. Sometimes, it is possible that designers
become focused on the design task to the exclusion of considering user
experience. Users may sometimes find the resultant demands for new
learning become an unwelcome burden.  In this special issue we invite
researchers to focus on the use side. We invite discussions related to the
question:

In which ways could studies of the use side particularly benefit from a
relationship to philosophical frameworks such as hermeneutics and
phenomenology?

There exists a dialectic between meaningful use and reflection upon use.
Each of these elements is subject to change, and thus a spiral comes about
as reflection triggers change in use and re-design, and such changes
trigger further reflection. Lived, human experience and reflection upon
that experience could become perceivable as shaping a double helix.

IS researchers have discussed and applied phenomenology, hermeneutics,
dialectics, and systems thinking for quite some years. Although these
approaches to IS research are not new, we believe they are worthy of
further discussion. We invite authors to explore our metaphorical
framework of a double helix, or to consider the question above in other
ways where they prefer.

The editors will also give authors of suitable papers an opportunity to
present them in a special strand at the 2006 InSITE conference,
Manchester, UK.

Papers which support theory development or those which draw upon empirical
studies are equally welcome. For this special issue of the Informing
Science Journal, we invite the submission of original, high quality
articles appropriate to our readership. Authors are welcome to discuss
their ideas and abstracts with the editors before submission.

Important dates:

September 1st 2005  - submission opens.

November 30th 2005 – deadline for first submission.

February 15th 2006 - outcomes from review process.

March 15th 2006 - revised papers due.

April 15th 2006 - final review outcomes.

Submission Guidelines:

The Guest Editors will be pleased to discuss proposed papers with authors
in advance of formal submission. All submissions should be made online at
the following address [ mailto:[log in to unmask]
][log in to unmask] with ‘special issue’ in the subject line. All
papers will be peer reviewed and the authors informed of the outcome by
the editors. Please send your electronic submission in Word Format. For
general information concerning the submission guidelines, refer to [
http://www.inform.nu ]http://www.inform.nu or [
http://www.informingscience.org ]http://www.informingscience.org

Editorial Board for the Special Issue

Chair
Professor Emeritus Hans-Erik Nissen, Department of Informatics, Lund
University, Sweden.

Co-chairs
Peter M. Bednar, School of Computing, University of Portsmouth, UK.
Department of Informatics, Lund University, Sweden.

Christine E. Welch, Department of Strategy and Business Systems,
Portsmouth  Business School, University of Portsmouth, UK.