From:
Markus Löchtefeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Markus Löchtefeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 06:32:27 +0000
CALL FOR PAPERS (with apologies for cross-posting)

**** Please distribute ****

MADs – Workshop on Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Ambient Displays
at MobileHCI 2018
https://decochrom.com/workshops/mads2018/

Markus Löchtefeld, Jonna Häkkilä, Andrii Matviienko, Jürgen Steimle, Walther Jensen & Sebastian Boring

Barcelona, Spain
Spetember 3rd, 2018

=== TOPIC ===

As we reach the age of ubiquitous computing, users have constant access to a tremendous amount of information. This can make it complicated for users to divide their attention. Ambient displays, which only draw the attention of the user when needed to convey concise information, allow to focus on a main task while not missing out on potential crucial information of background tasks. However, so far it is not well understood how they handle in mobile and wearable scenarios. This workshop aims to bring together researchers and practitioners to discuss current challenges and opportunities of mobile ambient displays, including application scenarios, services and new prototyping techniques. We will discuss the design space and generate ideas of new applications. Furthermore, we will provide materials allowing the participants to implement rapid prototypes of their novel application ideas and try to develop a joined research road map.

The workshop is concerned with all Ambient displays (or peripheral displays) meaning displays that show information that a user is aware of but not focused on in mobile and wearable settings. Topics of interest include, but are not limited too:

* Application Cases
* Interaction Techniques
* Design Guidelines
* Evaluation Techniques
* Prototyping Methods
* Fabrication Techniques

=== Submissions ===

We invite short (up to 2 pages) and longer (up to 6 pages) contributions using the SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Template from researchers and practitioners working in the area of mobile ambient displays. The submissions should not be anonymised. Some examples of topics of interest can be found above. Our goal is to have a group who can share approaches and experiences, identify research and deployment challenges, and envision and prototype the next generation of applications.

Please upload your papers to the EasyChair System (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=madsws2018) latest May 3rd, 2018 (17:00 PST).

=== IMPORTANT DATES ===

May 3, 2018:           Submission Deadline
June 7, 2018:          Author Notification
July 29, 2018:         Submission of camera-ready version
September 3, 2018:     Workshop in Barcelona, Spain

=== Website and more Information ===

https://decochrom.com/workshops/mads2018/

If you have any additional questions please contact us via email:

=== Organizers ===
Markus Löchtefeld – Aalborg University
Jonna Häkkilä – University of Lapland
Andrii Matviienko – University of Oldenburg
Jürgen Steimle – Saarland University
Walther Jensen – Aalborg University
Sebastian Boring – University of Copenhagen

[cid:0A8AADBF-F49A-4AA1-8C5F-E7EA26A0F9DB@aau.dk]

Markus Löchtefeld

Assistant Professor | Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology

Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Phone: (+45) 93562170
Web: www.create.aau.dk<http://www.create.aau.dk/>

Aalborg Universitet | Rendsburggade 14, room 5.362 | 9000 Aalborg