From:
"Toombs, Austin L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Toombs, Austin L
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 15:49:22 +0000
Dear colleagues,

Please see below for the call for participation for a one-day workshop at the CSCW 2018 conference. Full details can be found at https://hcdd.purdue.edu/sociotechnical-systems-of-care/

Key dates:
* September 5, 2018 – First round of submissions due.
* September 9, 2018 – First round of acceptances sent out.
* September 10, 2018 – Last day for early conference registration (workshop registration can be completed AFTER conference registration, as workshop registration costs will remain constant).
* October 1, 2018 – Second round of submissions due.
* October 8, 2018 – Second round of acceptances sent out.
* October 28—November 3, 2018 – Workshop preparation activities.
* November 4, 2018 – Workshop date. Start time will be announced at a later time.

This workshop will be devoted to understanding how notions of “care” shape the methods, contexts, and practices of CSCW researchers. By shifting focus from care (a term that often connotes particular contexts for research) to care-ing (practices that involve care), we will trace patterns across multiple genres of research: from those that we typically associate with care-work (e.g., healthcare, eldercare, childcare) to those in which care motivates research objectives (e.g., social justice, sustainability) and perspectives (e.g. postanthrocentrism, feminism). This shift brings with it an expanded notion of how we might understand and design with care by framing care as a term that congeals certain sets of practices and orientations to the subjects of research.

Position papers (3-4 page pdf in extended abstracts format https://sigchi.org/templates/) should be submitted to [log in to unmask] and should respond to at least one of the workshop themes:

  1.  The invisibility of care work. This theme addresses both the care work between people, as well as the care work entangled in making technologies (such as healthcare technologies) function. Consider how the invisibility of care work changes as the individual performing the labor shifts; who is most likely to become overburdened, and what other sociotechnical elements (e.g., maintenance schedules, transportation requirements, etc.) are implicated in this shift of labor? Relatedly: how can we design for invisible forms of care work that are importantly informal?.
  2.  Care as sentimentalizing, formalizing, or infantilizing. Technologies developed for healthcare settings can often be built upon infantilizing assumptions, including assumptions that violate a care recipient’s privacy and autonomy. Systems developed outside of a healthcare setting, such as Amazon’s Alexa, are being appropriated for healthcare practices as a way to avoid such infantilization. How can we ensure that built-for-purpose care technologies are designed without these assumptions? What other technologies can be appropriated to counteract designed sentimentalization and infantilization?
  3.  Attending to and Designing for Experiences of Care. How might we attend to the experiences and emotions associated with caregiving and care-receiving as a resource for design, rather than qualities to delegate away? How does a focus on “empathy” shape orientations towards care of users and things? How might experiences that exist at the peripheries of care—such as vulnerability, humility, and precarity—be embraced in the design process?
  4.  The evolution of care work. How has care work changed, both in terms of the actual actions of care work as well as its perception, and how will it change? Consider how this change can be conceived of both historically as well as personally. For example, how can care technologies change over time with the individual, such as in the face of increasing or declining technical capability? How might we broaden our thinking around care work to include caring actions oriented toward a community?.

Please visit the workshop website for additional details about acceptable submission types.

All submissions will be reviewed by the organizers, and will be accepted to the workshop based on their potential to stimulate conversation and to ensure both complementary and contrasting sets of works to discuss on the day of the workshop.

Thanks,
austin

Austin Toombs, PhD
Assistant Professor
Purdue University, Computer Graphics Technology
401 N. Grant Street, Knoy Hall of Technology, Room 307
office: +1 (765) 494-6237
Pronouns: he, him, his