From:
Benjamin Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Benjamin Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 11:55:34 +0000
*Apologies for cross-posting*

In this workshop we will look at the elements in an artificial voice
that support an embodied (either digital or tangible) and dis-embodied
form of an intelligent virtual agent (IVA). In this context the agent
can be seen to perform, or act a role, where naturalness of the voice
may be subservient to appropriateness, and communicating the character
of the agent can be as important as the information it presents. We will
introduce the current ways a voice can be made to have character, how
this can be designed to fit a specific agent, and how such a voice can
be effectively deployed.

The intended audience is academics and industry researchers who are
tired of seeing there carefully created conversational agents spoilt by
inappropriate speech synthesis voices, and who want to lead the way in
which speech synthesis takes into account the design requirements of
IVAs. The workshop is not primarily for speech technologists (although
they are of course welcome) but rather the engineers and scientists
exploring the use of IVAs, and are curious to see how modern speech
synthesis can dramatically alter the way such agents are perceived and used.

Attending
Attendees are encouraged to also attend the main conference but this is
not a requirement. We request those interested to email
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the following
information

1. 100-200 word biography and main motivation for attending.

2. Sketch of an actual or imagined embodied agent that intends to use
speech to converse or present dynamic content. The sketch could include
pictures, example content and design motivations and could vary from
well specified to speculative, from ground breaking to well understood
domains. It could be a couple of pages to a paragraph. The pre-designs
will be used to help the organizers select and formulate a design
challenge of interest to the attendees.

Five of the submissions will be chosen for a short 7 minute + 3 minute
question presentation at the workshop. Please indicate if you would like
to be considered for this. The submissions chosen will aim to give a
varied and proactive view of potential use cases and speech interface
designs.

For more information see:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/matthewa/speechIVA2019wshop

Dr Matthew Aylett
CSO CereProc Ltd.
Honorary Fellow, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

--
Too brief? Here's why http://emailcharter.org

=====================
Benjamin R Cowan PhD
Assistant Professor
School of Information & Communication Studies
University College Dublin
Twitter: @BCowanHCI
Web: www.benjamincowan.com

NB- I do not check my email at weekends or much in the evening.
If anything is urgent please phone.
Recent papers:
Clark, L., et al., (In Press). What Makes a Good Conversation? Challenges in Designing Truly Conversational Agents. Proceedings of CHI 2019, Glasgow, UK.

Pinder, C., Vermeulen, J., Cowan, B.R. & Beale, R. (2018). Digital Behaviour Change Interventions to Break and Form Habits. ACM TOCHI.

Gilmartin et al., (2018). Explorations in multiparty casual social talk and its relevance for social human machine dialogue. Journal of Multimodal User Interfaces, 12, 4, 297-308

Murad, C., Munteanu, C., Clark, L., & Cowan, B. R. (2018). Design guidelines for hands-free speech interaction. Proceedings of Mobile HCI 2018, Barcelona, Spain.