First Workshop on Intelligent Textbooks @ The 20th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED’2019)
We are happy to announce that we will be organizing a full-day workshop at AIED 2019.
AIED 2019 will be held in Chicago, IL, USA during June 25-29, 2019.
See here: https://caed-lab.com/aied2019/index.html
————————— WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION ————————-
Textbooks have evolved over the last several decades in many aspects. Most textbooks can be accessed online, many of them freely. They often come with libraries of supplementary educational resources or online educational services built on top of them. As a result of these enrichments, new research challenges and opportunities emerge that call for the application of AIED methods to enhance digital textbooks and learners’ interaction with them. Therefore, we ask: How to facilitate access to textbooks and improve the reading process? What can be extracted from textbook content and data-mined from the logs of students interacting with it? This workshop seeks research contributions addressing these and other research questions related to the idea of intelligent textbooks. It aims at bringing together researchers working on different aspects of learning technologies to establish intelligent textbooks as a new, interdisciplinary research field.
More information is available here: http://ml4ed.cc/2019-AIED-workshop/
————————— TOPICS OF INTEREST —————————
The workshop themes include but are not limited to:
• Modeling and representation of textbooks: examining the prerequisite and the semantic structure of textbooks to enhance their readability;
• Analysis and mining of textbook usage logs: analyzing the patterns of learners’ use of textbooks to obtain insights on learning and the pedagogical value of textbook content;
• Generation, manipulation, and presentation: exploring and testing different formats and forms of textbook content to find the most effective means of presenting different knowledge;
• Assessment and personalization: developing methods that can generate assessments and enhance textbooks with adaptive support to meet the needs of every learner using the textbook;
• Knowledge visualization: augmenting textbooks with concept maps, open learner models and other knowledge-rich extensions
• Collaborative technologies: building and deploying social components of digital textbooks that enable learners to interact with not only content but other learners;
• Smart interactive content: extending online textbooks with various kinds of smart interactive content to improve learning, engagement, learner modeling, and personalization
• Intelligent information retrieval and question-answering for digital textbooks
• Content curation and enrichment: sorting through external resources on the web and finding the relevant resources to augment the textbook and provide additional information for learners.
————————— IMPORTANT DATES ——————————
Paper submission: May 01, 2019
Notification of acceptance: May 15, 2019
Final version of accepted papers: June 01, 2019
————————— PAPER SUBMISSION —————————–
Accepted papers will be presented either orally or in a poster session and included in the workshop proceedings. At this point, we invite full (up to 12 pages) and short (up to 4 pages) paper submissions.
Submissions should follow the Springer format. See https://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0 for details.
Submission should be made in pdf format through the EasyChair system (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=intelligenttextbooks).
Submissions will be reviewed by members of the workshop program committee.
————————— ORGANIZERS ———————————–
• Sergey Sosnovsky, Utrecht University
• Peter Brusilovsky, University of Pittsburgh
• Richard G. Baraniuk, Rice University
• Rakesh Agrawal, Data Insights Laboratories
• Andrew S. Lan, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Peter Brusilovsky, Professor
School of Computing and Information
University of Pittsburgh
Have you seen our new book on Social Information Access?
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org