From:
Eunice Sari <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eunice Sari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2018 06:23:41 +0800
Happy holidays, everyone!

At the end of 2018, I was pondering the the time when we started the
introduction of HCI and UX works almost 20 years ago in Indonesia. We never
thought that these fields would be an essential integrated part of every
part of people's life in this country these days

As one of the fastest-growing nations in Southeast Asia and a promising
developing country, this 250+ million nation has over 88.1 millions of
active Internet users, over 326.3 million SIM subscribers with 85 percents
own mobile mobiles and 43 percents carry smartphones. At least in 2016
itself, 30 billions of apps are downloaded and used every day by a wide
range of people from different generations and socio-economic status with
and without any backgrounds in technology. Thus, improving the usability
and accessibility of the technology has become an important part of this
journey. Indonesia is also one of the most vibrant startup ecosystem in
Southeast Asia with the most unicorn startups.

In early 2014, Indonesia ACM SIGCHI Chapter was born. Year after year,
people who are passionate in learning and applying HCI and UX to improve
life are growing significantly too. The first International ACM
In-Cooperation Conference in HCI and UX was conducted in Indonesia in 2015
namely CHIuXiD Conference. CHIuXiD has always been innovating to make our
conference unique to cater the wider needs of people, both tech and
non-tech people, in the country as well as around the region.

Some examples of the initiatives that we have done through the CHIuXiD
conferences include several design thinking community outreach activities
with farmers wives, SMEs or elderly people in the villages to improve their
life during the conference, faithfully reached out the startups, mentored
and engaged students who rarely have a chance to learn HCI and UX in the
Hackathon and Design Sprint (Hacksprint) competitions.

Apart from the reaching out of the local community, we have also been
engaged with the large global SIGCHI community to be part of this
initiatives, such as being keynote or business speakers, workshop leaders,
paper presenters (published at ACM Digital Library and indexed by Scopus),
international board of reviewers, committee members, partners, sponsors,
and supporters. We would like to thank you all from the deep of our heart
for you who have contributed to this annual initiatives and made a
significant difference in many people's life.

After the success of CHIuXiD 2018, which was organized across three
provinces and joined by around 2,000 people in total, we will come back in
2019 to organized the event with three provinces and aim to reach out at
least the same number of people. The theme of CHIuXiD 2019 is Empowering
Digital Transformation. This year we already have Prof. Aaron Quigley (St
Andrews University Scotland and SIGCHI), Dr Heli Rantavuo (Spotify, Sweden)
and Prof. Jun Rekimoto (Sony Comp. Science Lab Japan).

First we are going to start in Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia on
the 1 April 2019, where we primarily reach out startups, companies and
practitioners.

On the 3-4 April 2019, we will continue with the Hacksprint competition in
Surabaya, the capital city of East Java with the semi finalists (both
students and professionals), who will compete to design the best solutions
to empower digital transformation, i.e. solving waste problems in the
Ocean, improve education, improve tsunami early warning system and many
more ideas you can think of. The sky is the limit.

After the Hackathon, on 5 April 2019, we will reach out the local
communities in Surabaya, i.e. ex prostitutes, young students as well as
local startups to engage them in various HCI and UX workshops and
activities.

The climax of the event in Surabaya will be the big celebration through
keynotes, workshops and business stories with academics and practitioners
on the 6 April 2019.

After Jakarta and Surabaya, we will move to the paradise island, in Bali to
have the conference on the 8-9 April 2019, where the keynotes and academic
paper presenters will share their works in HCI and UX. The conference will
include a Cultural Tour for all of the participants to allow ourselves to
immerse with the Balinese culture and people.

If you are interested to be part of this initiative in any ways, we extend
this opportunity until 10th January 2019. Please reach us out through this
email or visit our website: chiuxid.org. Please feel free to share this
email.

It is a lifetime opportunity and it might also be your New Year resolution
in 2019 to make a different in the region. We look forward to hearing from
you soon.

Happy New Year!

Sincerely yours
Eunice Sari

--
CEO | Co-Founder
E. [log in to unmask] | M. +61 413 128 931 (Australia) | M. +62 812 8810

Charles Darwin University Adjunct Staff (Honorary University Fellow)
https://www.cdu.edu.au/education/staff-contacts

Google Developer Expert (Product Design and Strategy | UX and UI)
Global Mentor Google Launchpad Accelerator
Certified Google Design Sprint Master
W. https://developers.google.com/experts/people/eunice-sari

ACM SIGCHI Vice President for Global Chapters (2018-present)
ACM Distinguished Speaker
South East Asia Liaison for ACM SIGCHI Asia Development Committee
(2015-present)
http://www.sigchi.org/people/officers

Expert Member of the International Federation for Information Processing
(IFIP) TC 13 – Human Computer Interaction (HCI) for Indonesia
http://ifip-tc13.org/membersofficers/

Western Australia Representative for the Human Factors Ergonomic
Association Computer Human Interaction Special Interest Group (HFESA CHISIG)
http://www.ergonomics.org.au/chisig/about-chisig/chisig-committee
OZCHI 2019 Co-Chair (Perth, Australia)

Co-Founder and Supervisor (2016-2019)
Former Chair (2014-2016)
Indonesia ACM SIGCHI Chapter (CHI UX Indonesia) and Indonesian Interaction
Design Association (PIDI)
http://chiuxindo.acm.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiuxindo