From:
Tom Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2019 17:40:48 +0200
CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS: One-Day Workshop on
* Humans in the Loop - Bringing AI and HCI Together *

in conjunction with INTERACT 2019
https://interact2019.org/

Tuesday, 3 September 2019
Paphos, Cyprus

Workshop Website:
http://aka.ms/AI-HCI-Interact2019

IMPORTANT DATES
- 29 Apr.: Submission of Position Papers
- 31 May: Notifications to Authors
- 3 Sep.: Full Day Workshop
- 4-6 Sep.: INTERACT 2019 Main Conference

OVERVIEW

As more and more Artificial Intelligent (AI) systems become incorporated
into our every-day lives, it is critical that we understand the ways in
which people will interact with these systems. Although some AI systems
will be fully automated, a large number will be incorporated into a larger
social ecosystem where people will be interacting with these systems. In
some cases, advances in machine learning are enabling systems to make
inferences on data that are more precise than human experts, however, there
is also a growing body of literature that shows that these systems have
inherent bias and can have a negative impact on human decision making. It
is imperative that researchers understand the smart interplay of AI systems
and human experts such that the combination of the two can leverage the
inherent strength and weaknesses of each to lead to optimal results.

TOPICS

In this workshop, we seek to bring together researchers from both
Artificial Intelligence and Human-Computer Interaction communities to
discuss concepts, systems, designs, and empirical studies focusing on the
communication and cooperation between individual users and teams of users
with AI systems. This includes but is not limited to diverse topics related
to Human + AI Collaboration such as:
- Integrating Artificial and Human Intelligence
- Collaborative Decision Making
- Explainable and Explorable AI

PARTICIPATION and SUBMISSION

Selection of participants and presentations will be based on refereed
submissions. We invite authors to submit 4-page papers reporting their
contributions in the field of the workshop or 2-page position statements
motivating their interest in specific workshop topics. Papers should be
formatted according to the INTERACT 2019 (Springer LNCS Series) format.

Authors of accepted submissions as well as invited researchers will give
short presentations. We will interweave presentation sessions with longer
periods of discussions.

Presentations will be grouped by key topics to foster spontaneous
discussions. If participants are interested, archival publication
opportunities will be discussed, in addition to follow-on workshops.

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS
Tom Gross, University of Bamberg, Germany
Kori Inkpen, Microsoft Research, USA
Brian Lim, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Michael Veale, University College London, UK