From:
Daniel Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:10:57 +0200
 Still time to submit to our workshop on issues of Complexity, Dynamics and
Enaction in HCI, at CHI2021

We know tight at the moment, so we have decided to be more flexible on
submissions.
While our official deadline is 28th Feb, please let us know if this will be
too tight for you.

Our goal is to get as many interesting and useful perspectives together as
possible and promote discussion.
As such, shorter papers framing a problem or a question, or reporting
preliminary work are encouraged.

Please ask if you're unsure: contact us at [log in to unmask]

*******Emergent Interaction: Complexity, Dynamics and Enaction in
HCI*********
15th May, 2021, Online

ORGANISERS:

Dan Bennett, Alan Dix, Parisa Eslambolchilar, Feng Feng, Tom Froese,
Vassilis Kostakos, Sebastien Lerique, Niels van Berkel

WEBSITE:
https://emergentinteraction.github.io/

ABOUT:
Join us to investigate the contribution that approaches from complexity
theory, dynamical systems theory, and enactivist cognitive science can make
to our understanding of human interaction with technology.

There is a long tradition of work in Human Computer Interaction which
emphasises the specifically interactive elements of interaction behaviour.
This work emphasises the way behaviour arises from ongoing adaptation, and
the dynamically varying relationships between interacting elements - the
human(s) and the technology(ies), as well as other humans and aspects of
the environment. Researchers have used concepts as diverse as affordances,
situated-ness, phenomenology, and control theory to understand these
situations in which the direction of influence goes both ways. Just as
human behaviour moulds and manipulates technology and environment, those
same technologies and environments simultaneously condition human behaviour.

Recent work in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) has framed this old
question in a new way - suggesting that interaction is well modelled as a
complex dynamical system. This approach brings the tools and concepts of
Complexity Science to bear on familiar, but tricky, questions of
interactivity and context. In doing so, it points to a range of new
theoretical perspectives, modelling techniques, and other quantitative
methods. These have the potential to enrich our understanding of interaction
across many scales - from moment-to-moment system control, through patterns
of engagement, to the behaviours of organisations and social networks.

Some complex dynamical approaches are already found in HCI and there is
room to build on this. There are many publications on control theory, but
comparatively little work on applications. Ecological Psychology and
Enactivism have influenced embodied approaches to interaction since the
1980s, but their influence has been largely theoretical, overlooking recent
developments around complex dynamical methodologies, and related
theoretical accounts. We see opportunities both to re-engage with these
approaches, and also to explore new approaches, such as those applied in
the social sciences, bringing new methods and perspectives to bear on
common problems within HCI.

This workshop will investigate these opportunities and challenges. Our
organising committee brings together established voices from HCI, Control
Theory, and Enactivist Cognitive Science, alongside younger researchers. We
welcome participation from researchers from a range of disciplines whose
work addresses the key topics of the workshop. Attendees will have a chance
to present brief introductions to their own interests and positions, before
engaging in guided discussions, which will inform a final panel discussion,
drawing together the themes of the day.

See our website for details of key topics, our Call for Participation, and
information on submission

https://emergentinteraction.github.io/

Dan Bennett

PhD Researcher at Bristol Interaction Group
Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=KxrABMIAAAAJ>
My Home Page <https://danbennettdev.github.io/>