From:
Leigh Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2018 01:23:18 +0000
We invite people to submit position papers to the CHI 2019 workshop: Mapping Theoretical and Methodological Perspectives for Understanding Speech Interface Interactions. The workshop will be held in May in Glasgow, UK. Specific details will be announced closer to the date. Please see below for further details.

This part-day workshop will be organised as part of the ACM CHI 2019 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, held in Glasgow, UK, between 4th and 9th May 2019.

Important Dates:
February 12th 2019: Position paper deadline

March 1st 2019: Notification of acceptance

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Speech as an interaction modality has grown through the integration of Intelligent Personal Assistants (IPAs) like Google Assistant and Siri into mobile and home-based devices. This part-day collaborative workshop focuses on theories and methods we can use to understand user behaviours with speech interfaces. Through the workshop we will establish what theories, concepts, and paradigms are important in understanding our interaction choices with speech interfaces, and potential new theoretical frameworks required to explore them. We will critically evaluate existing methodologies used to explore these interactions and determine priority areas for improving methods to explore the theories and paradigms identified.

This workshop brings together researchers and practitioners from any domain interested in understanding user interaction behaviours with speech interfaces. Interested researchers are invited to submit position papers outlining a theory, concept or paradigm and related research methods and highlight their importance in understanding user behaviour in speech interface interactions.

Position papers should be 2 pages maximum (excluding references) in the CHI EA format and submitted by February 12th. Papers will be reviewed by the organisers and chosen based on 1) relevance to the workshop; 2) quality of the contribution; 3) ability to contribute to discussion. Once accepted, at least one author must register for the workshop and at least one day of the CHI 2019 conference. Queries and submissions should be sent to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

For more information see the workshop website - http://speech-interaction.org/chi2019/ <http://speech-interaction.org/chi2019/>.