Sender:
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:57:28 +0900
From:
Sayan Sarcar <[log in to unmask]>
*ASSETS 2020: The 22nd International ACM SIGACCESS* Conference on Computers
and Accessibility, October 26–28, Athens, Greece

For a web version of this document, see
http://assets20.sigaccess.org/call_for_papers.html

*The technical paper deadline is fast approaching with just 16 more days *to
submit your high-quality research to ASSETS'20, the premiere venue for
computing accessibility research (deadline: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 5 pm
PDT). The submission site is now open:
https://new.precisionconference.com/assets

**New Program* *This year for the first time, we are offering accessibility
mentorship so that authors can get advice on writing accessible manuscripts
(more details below).

*COVID-19 response: *We recognize that among the many impacts of COVID-19,
a number of authors are needing to cancel planned work with representative
users and are worried about how this will affect their ability to complete
planned submissions. While submissions will be evaluated against the same
criteria as in previous years, we encourage authors to consider new and
creative ways of engaging with stakeholders and establishing the validity
of their ideas. Critical reflections on the lessons learned through
experimentation with new techniques and methods can serve as novel
contributions to the research community. We encourage authors to consider
how their current experiences could be framed as such. To further support
authors, the submission deadline for technical papers has been extended by
two weeks (other deadlines adapted accordingly). The new submission
deadline is Thursday, May 7, 2020.

ACCESSIBILITY MENTORS – NEW PROGRAM

*Getting Advice on writing Accessible Manuscripts*

It is important to the ASSETS community that the research we produce is
accessible to everyone and at every stage of the publication process.
However, producing accessible research articles, especially in PDF format,
can be challenging. If you are new to producing accessible documents or are
looking for advice on how to make your research more accessible, please
contact us to be paired with an accessibility mentor!

Accessibility mentors can answer questions like:

   - How can I ensure that someone using a screen reader can access my
   manuscript?
   - What makes good alt text to describe figures in my manuscript?
   - What challenges would someone with color-blindness have reading my
   figures?
   - What precautions must be taken so that screen-readers are compatible
   with my tables?

Note that this is not a service to make your paper accessible for you, but
accessibility mentors will help all authors get the advice and resources
they need.

*Call for Mentors*

If you already have experience publishing research articles that are
accessible for people with vision impairments or other disabilities, please
volunteer your time to help other authors! We are looking for accessibility
mentors to give advice and answer questions about table/figure
accessibility or PDF accessibility. Please submit the form below to
volunteer to receive questions from other authors! We will work with you to
ensure you are paired with only the amount of authors you have time to
volunteer for!

Volunteer to be an accessibility mentor
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfEEHM8KQMt3BeoQPJcT94Kh6mTymVIWcMWv1QI8ZZsI4yvlA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

CALL FOR PAPERS

The ASSETS conference is the premier forum for presenting research on the
design, evaluation, use, and education related to computing for people with
disabilities and older adults. We invite high-quality original submissions
on topics relevant to computing and accessibility.

Submissions should present significant contributions to design, systems,
tools, scientific understanding, methodology, or social issues. Relevant
topics include (but are not limited to) new enabling technologies, studies
of how technologies are used by people with disabilities, explorations of
barriers to access, and evaluations of accessibility education methods. It
is expected that, in most cases, a paper’s research contributions will be
validated through research activities conducted within the target user
groups. Papers that include a technical contribution without being
validated through research activities with representative users are
unlikely to be accepted.

Authors should refer to the General Writing Guidelines for Technology and
People with Disabilities when preparing submissions.

Technical Papers are expected to present significant and original
contributions. For early work and work-in-progress, authors may consider
submitting a poster or demo. Papers may expand upon previously published
posters or demos, but must present novel and significantly extended
content, and should cite any previous abstracts for posters or demos.
Please refer to the ACM policy on plagiarism for guidance.

All contributions are peer-reviewed by an international Program Committee.
Accepted papers and the abstracts for posters and demonstrations,
experience reports, and the student research competition will be archived
in the ACM Digital Library. At least one author of accepted submissions
must register as the presenter by the early registration deadline.

*AUTHORS TAKE NOTE: *The official publication date is the date the
proceedings are made available in the ACM Digital Library. This date may be
up to two weeks prior to the first day of your conference. The official
publication date affects the deadline for any patent filings related to
published work.

Important Dates *(Updated)*

   - Thursday, April 23, 2020  *Thursday, May 7, *2020, 5 p.m. PDT –
   Technical Paper submission deadline
   - Tuesday, June 2, 2020  *Wednesday, June 10,* 2020, 5 p.m. PDT –
   Initial Technical Paper reviews sent to authors, rebuttal phase opens
   - Tuesday, June 9, 2020  *Wednesday, June 17,* 2020, 5 p.m. PDT –
   Rebuttal phase closes
   - Monday, June 22, 2020  *Friday, June 26,* 2020 Technical Paper
   acceptance decisions sent to authors

------

Stephanie Valencia and Sayan Sarcar

Publicity Chairs, ACM ASSETS 2020