Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:29:06 +0200
From:
Andrew Webb <[log in to unmask]>
We have extended the deadline for submitting positions papers to the C&C 2019 Workshop on Distributed Creativity in Play in San Diego on June 23, 2019.

We invite submissions from researchers, game designers, players, and others to participate in a one-day workshop where we will present, discuss, and engage with themes involving social/distributed creativity and play. Topics of position papers may address aspects of creativity, play, or both.

Play and creativity are intertwined. Play involves imagination and curiosity wherein players explore potential actions and realities. In collaborative and social play, creative contributions are distributed among players. For example, in tabletop role-playing games, such as Dungeons & Dragons, each player verbalizes actions of their character(s), contributing to the creative generation of a shared narrative.

Distributed creativity is not limited to groups in the same physical space. Increasingly popular web-based platforms, such as Twitch and Roll20, connect participants from all over the world in shared play experiences. They offer opportunities to design for and study distributed creativity in digitally mediated and situated contexts. Play contexts of interest for this workshop include (but are not limited to): tabletop games (including role-playing), live-action role-playing (larp), multiplayer video games, and game play live streaming.

This workshop will explore different contexts, methodologies, game designs, and technologies associated with distributed creativity in play. Invited participants will present their ideas, video prototype new play experiences, engage in critical reflections on workshop topics, and contribute to workshop outcomes.

Additional information about the workshop and how to submit are available at: https://wdcip.gitlab.io

We encourage potential participants to consider submitting both here and to the Larping as an Embodied Design Research Workshop, scheduled for the day after this one.

Dates:
April 25-June 3: Submit position papers (1500 words max, excluding title, authors, and references). Submissions will be reviewed as received. Authors will be notified of decisions within 3 working days of submission.
May 7: C&C Early-bird registration
June 23: Full-day workshop