From:
Lindlbauer David <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindlbauer David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2019 12:44:11 +0000
The call for submissions for the Student Innovation Contest at the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST) 2019 is online. Please apply, and spread the word with your students and colleagues, and anyone else that you think might be interested.

https://uist.acm.org/uist2019/call-for-participation/#sic

In a nutshell:
- The theme is Interactive Systems for Social Impact: See, Feel, Hear the Invisible.
- Teams will get the Google Coral Edge TPU Machine Learning kit AND a set of sensors and actuators to build interactive devices from cardboard.
- We were awarded and NSF grant to fully fund 5 teams to participants in the contest and attend UIST.
- Deadline for submission is July 27th.

The goal of the Student Innovation Contest (SIC) is to explore how novel input, interaction, actuation, and output technologies can augment interactive experiences! This year, in partnership with Google, we are seeking students who will push the boundaries of input and output techniques. This year’s theme is Interactive Systems for Social Impact: See, Feel, Hear the Invisible.

It is a great opportunity for students (high school, undergrad, grad) to showcase their creativity and attend UIST 2019 in New Orleans. Join the UIST SIC and turn your ideas into reality! Meet amazing people! Win fabulous prizes! Deadline to apply is the 27th of July!

Besides the UIST and the SIC being awesome, we were awarded an NSF grant that will fully fund travel for 5 teams. It targets underrepresented minorities in STEM, is needs-based and all students from US schools and US citizens at non-US schools are eligible. We are working to provide funding for ~2 international teams to cover their costs, but that will take a bit more time. Please apply anyways!

Write the SIC chairs David and Pascal at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have any questions.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
David Lindlbauer & Pascal Fortin
UIST 2019 SIC co-chairs