From:
Ulysses Bernardet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ulysses Bernardet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2019 22:47:36 +0100
PhD Studentship -- Intelligent Augmented Reality Agent for Smart Citizens

Aston University Birmingham, UK
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Computer Science

Start: October 2019
Closing Date: Friday 12 July 2019
Reference: R190193
https://jobs.aston.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=R190193

Applications are invited for a studentship in the Cybernetic Human Lab
(https://cs.aston.ac.uk/~bernardu/) supported by the Aston Institute of
Urban
Technology and the Environment (ASTUTE). The successful applicant will join
cohort of graduate students working on projects across the broader Smart
Cities
field, and as part of the PhD will receive training and experience in
collaborative research, relevant to industry and Smart City planners.

Background of the Project
The goal of the studentship is to improve the well-being of city dwellers by
developing an intelligent augmented reality agent for citizens that
facilitates
the communication and interaction between citizens and Smart Cities. We will
develop an augmented reality Smart Citizen Agent that supports active
citizenship, participation, and co-design by facilitating the citizens’
access
to heterogeneous Smart City services and, allows the Smart City to collect
data
about citizen well-being, engagement, and the quality of services. The
front-end
of the Smart Citizen Agent is a humanoid Augmented Reality Agent that is
integrated into the user’s physical environment.

Person Specification
The successful applicant should have a first class or upper second class
honours
degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science or Engineering.
Preferred
skill requirements include knowledge/experience of game development, VR/AR,
intelligent agents, and virtual humans.

We would particularly like to encourage applications from women seeking to
progress their academic careers. Aston University is committed to the
principles
of the Athena SWAN Charter, recognised recently by a prestigious Silver
Award to
EAS, and we pride ourselves on our vibrant, friendly and supportive working
environment and family atmosphere.

Contact information
For informal enquiries about this project contact Ulysses Bernardet by
email at

Dr Ulysses Bernardet
Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering & Applied Science